warning? about attr_filter for default Debian configs

warning? about attr_filter for default Debian configs

Users mailing list
Greetings FR-users,

On a default debian install of freeradius there is some yellow text when
running the server in debug (-X) mode:

[...]
reading pairlist file /etc/freeradius/3.0/mods-config/attr_filter/post-proxy
  # Instantiating module "attr_filter.pre-proxy" from file
/etc/freeradius/3.0/mods-enabled/attr_filter
reading pairlist file /etc/freeradius/3.0/mods-config/attr_filter/pre-proxy
  # Instantiating module "attr_filter.access_reject" from file
/etc/freeradius/3.0/mods-enabled/attr_filter
reading pairlist file
/etc/freeradius/3.0/mods-config/attr_filter/access_reject
[/etc/freeradius/3.0/mods-config/attr_filter/access_reject]:11 Check item
"FreeRADIUS-Response-Delay"   found in filter
list for realm "DEFAULT".
[/etc/freeradius/3.0/mods-config/attr_filter/access_reject]:11 Check item
"FreeRADIUS-Response-Delay-USec"      found in
 filter list for realm "DEFAULT".
[...]

The last two lines which reference line 11 are yellow.

Here is the contents of access_reject:

$ sudo cat -n /etc/freeradius/3.0/mods-config/attr_filter/access_reject
     1  #
     2  #       Configuration file for the rlm_attr_filter module.
     3  #       Please see rlm_attr_filter(5) manpage for more information.
     4  #
     5  #       $Id: afd89473dc50e4ff62389e35e5cb73b512e9d352 $
     6  #
     7  #       This configuration file is used to remove almost all of the
attributes
     8  #       From an Access-Reject message.  The RFCs say that an
Access-Reject
     9  #       packet can contain only a few attributes.  We enforce that
here.
    10  #
    11  DEFAULT
    12          EAP-Message =* ANY,
    13          State =* ANY,
    14          Message-Authenticator =* ANY,
    15          Error-Cause =* ANY,
    16          Reply-Message =* ANY,
    17          MS-CHAP-Error =* ANY,
    18          Proxy-State =* ANY,
    19          FreeRADIUS-Response-Delay =* ANY,
    20          FreeRADIUS-Response-Delay-USec =* ANY

I'm afraid I don't know what to modify to eliminate the warning.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

-m
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: warning? about attr_filter for default Debian configs

Alan DeKok-2
On Dec 10, 2020, at 1:58 PM, Matt Zagrabelny via Freeradius-Users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On a default debian install of freeradius there is some yellow text when
> running the server in debug (-X) mode:

  It's a warning, not an error.

> Here is the contents of access_reject:

  Really?

  I have _never_ understood the idea behind posting default configuration files to the list.  It's not like we're unaware of the contents.

> I'm afraid I don't know what to modify to eliminate the warning.
>
> Any suggestions?

  Warnings are not errors.  Ignore them.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: warning? about attr_filter for default Debian configs

Users mailing list
Hey Alan,

Thanks for the prompt reply (as always!)

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 1:01 PM Alan DeKok <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2020, at 1:58 PM, Matt Zagrabelny via Freeradius-Users <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On a default debian install of freeradius there is some yellow text when
> > running the server in debug (-X) mode:
>
>   It's a warning, not an error.

Agreed. I am just trying to eliminate warnings as that seems like a
sensible policy for one's life.

> > Here is the contents of access_reject:
>
>   Really?
>
>   I have _never_ understood the idea behind posting default configuration
> files to the list.  It's not like we're unaware of the contents.

Wasn't sure if the deb package had different contents from what gets
shipped in the source tarball. Sorry about the noise. I'll check next time.

> > I'm afraid I don't know what to modify to eliminate the warning.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
>   Warnings are not errors.  Ignore them.

I'm okay with ignoring warnings. But warnings in default config files seems
a little curious.

Cheers,

-m
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

On Dec 10, 2020, at 2:51 PM, Matt Zagrabelny via Freeradius-Users <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm okay with ignoring warnings. But warnings in default config files seems
> a little curious.

  We're happy to take patches to fix it.  :)

  The short answer is that there's only so much time in a day.  Serious issues get fixed.  Smaller ones get put off.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: warning? about attr_filter for default Debian configs

Users mailing list
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 1:59 PM Alan DeKok <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2020, at 2:51 PM, Matt Zagrabelny via Freeradius-Users <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm okay with ignoring warnings. But warnings in default config files
> seems
> > a little curious.
>
>   We're happy to take patches to fix it.  :)

Maybe I'll buy us both a beer to help us forget and ignore it.

>   The short answer is that there's only so much time in a day.

Stop taking time to help noobs - like me!

Thanks again for the dialog - it really does help me (us) understand the
software better.

Best,

-m
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: [EXT] Re: warning? about attr_filter for default Debian configs

Brian Julin

Matt Zagrabelny via Freeradius-Users <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks again for the dialog - it really does help me (us) understand the
> software better.

In way of explanation, I'm going to go out on a limb and make an educated guess that
there's a generic mechanism warning about the use of internally used attributes
in the filter module, as those attributes have no representation on the wire, and
that there turned out to be a use case for internally handling Access-Reject packets
(it would seem these are timing parameters, so something to do with DoS/flood protection
or a keepalive mechanism.)  This ended up passing these attributes through
the attribute filter module, so they were exempted as a quick fix rather than
specially handling the internally handled packets.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 at 20:42, Brian Julin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt Zagrabelny via Freeradius-Users <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks again for the dialog - it really does help me (us) understand the
> > software better.
>
> In way of explanation, I'm going to go out on a limb and make an educated guess that
> there's a generic mechanism warning about the use of internally used attributes
> in the filter module, as those attributes have no representation on the wire, and
> that there turned out to be a use case for internally handling Access-Reject packets
> (it would seem these are timing parameters, so something to do with DoS/flood protection
> or a keepalive mechanism.)  This ended up passing these attributes through
> the attribute filter module, so they were exempted as a quick fix rather than
> specially handling the internally handled packets.

This hasn't affected the official packages for some time:

$ git log raddb/mods-config/attr_filter/access_reject

commit 76e8c12fb728a3634cebeb56d36cf26f5ebf4951
Author: Matthew Newton <[hidden email]>
Date:   Mon Nov 12 18:11:30 2018 +0000

    attr_filter: Don't permit FreeRADIUS-Response-Delay in reject

    No-op, but they're internal attributes so can't go in a reply
    anyway, and cause a warning at every server start.
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html