radmin metrics

Michael Hocke-2

Hi everybody,

I wrote a shell script that gives me RADIUS stats in the same fashion as iostat or vmstat. In order to do so I keep running ‘radmin -e “stats client auth”’ every few seconds and parse the output. I’ve got a few questions about radmin stats:

- Does the repeated use of radmin impact the server’s performance in any way, i.e. does it skew the collected metrics in any way?
- What exactly is the meaning of the “dropped” metric, or better, under what circumstance is a request dropped within the server?
- Am I correct to assume that the ‘elapsed.*’ metrics count the number of transaction that took a certain amount of time? Would this be the elapsed time between receiving an Accept-Request and the appropriate reply?

Thanks you very much in advance!

- Michael

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: radmin metrics

Alan DeKok-2
On May 11, 2017, at 4:58 PM, Michael Hocke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wrote a shell script that gives me RADIUS stats in the same fashion as iostat or vmstat. In order to do so I keep running ‘radmin -e “stats client auth”’ every few seconds and parse the output. I’ve got a few questions about radmin stats:
>
> - Does the repeated use of radmin impact the server’s performance in any way, i.e. does it skew the collected metrics in any way?

  No.

> - What exactly is the meaning of the “dropped” metric, or better, under what circumstance is a request dropped within the server?

  From the RFCs:  "total request packets dropped for other reasons"

  i.e. not malformed, not wrong secret.  In FreeRADIUS, it's usually because the server is too busy to process new requests/

> - Am I correct to assume that the ‘elapsed.*’ metrics count the number of transaction that took a certain amount of time?

  Yes.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html