problem with "#" in username

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
| Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

problem with "#" in username

Christian Seitz
Hi,

I want to replace our old radius server with freeradius and it seems that
freeradius has all the features we need - great work! We are using
freeradius 1.0.2-4 from debian unstable with a PostgreSQL database for
users and logging.

My problem is that some of our usernames contain a "#", for example
"test#in@realm". Freeradius receives this username and logs it to
radius.log, but it logs "Auth: Login incorrect". When I turn on statement
logging in PostgreSQL, I can see, that freeradius sends a select query to
PostgreSQL with "test=23in@realm" as the username instead of
"test#in@realm".

When I change the username to "test=23in@realm" in the database table, I
get "Auth: Login OK", although the client still sends "test#in@realm" as
the username and freeradius logs "test#in@realm" in radius.log.

Is this a bug in freeradius?

Chris
--
Christian Seitz <[hidden email]>     http://www.in-berlin.de/
Individual Network Berlin e.V.

PGP Fingerprint: A9 17 03 0D 36 AB 07 4E  D0 1E C3 8E 3F B0 66 9A
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
| Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with "#" in username

Marcin M. Jessa-2
I bet this is database specific.
Run radius in debug mode and see what is shown by the User-Name attribute.
Try to change sql query in postgresql.conf if radius accepts correct username.

Cheers,
Marcin


On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:30:03 +0200 (CEST)
Christian Seitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to replace our old radius server with freeradius and it seems that
> freeradius has all the features we need - great work! We are using
> freeradius 1.0.2-4 from debian unstable with a PostgreSQL database for
> users and logging.
>
> My problem is that some of our usernames contain a "#", for example
> "test#in@realm". Freeradius receives this username and logs it to
> radius.log, but it logs "Auth: Login incorrect". When I turn on statement
> logging in PostgreSQL, I can see, that freeradius sends a select query to
> PostgreSQL with "test=23in@realm" as the username instead of
> "test#in@realm".
>
> When I change the username to "test=23in@realm" in the database table, I
> get "Auth: Login OK", although the client still sends "test#in@realm" as
> the username and freeradius logs "test#in@realm" in radius.log.
>
> Is this a bug in freeradius?
>
> Chris
> --
> Christian Seitz <[hidden email]>     http://www.in-berlin.de/
> Individual Network Berlin e.V.
>
> PGP Fingerprint: A9 17 03 0D 36 AB 07 4E  D0 1E C3 8E 3F B0 66 9A
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
| Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with "#" in username

Kevin Bonner
In reply to this post by Christian Seitz
On Thursday 09 June 2005 14:30, Christian Seitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to replace our old radius server with freeradius and it seems that
> freeradius has all the features we need - great work! We are using
> freeradius 1.0.2-4 from debian unstable with a PostgreSQL database for
> users and logging.
>
> My problem is that some of our usernames contain a "#", for example
> "test#in@realm". Freeradius receives this username and logs it to
> radius.log, but it logs "Auth: Login incorrect". When I turn on statement
> logging in PostgreSQL, I can see, that freeradius sends a select query to
> PostgreSQL with "test=23in@realm" as the username instead of
> "test#in@realm".
>
> When I change the username to "test=23in@realm" in the database table, I
> get "Auth: Login OK", although the client still sends "test#in@realm" as
> the username and freeradius logs "test#in@realm" in radius.log.
>
> Is this a bug in freeradius?
>
> Chris
See safe-characters in postgresql.conf.  Search the list archives for more
info, as this has been talked about many times before.

Kevin Bonner

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
| Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with "#" in username

Christian Seitz
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Kevin Bonner wrote:

> See safe-characters in postgresql.conf. Search the list archives for
> more info, as this has been talked about many times before.

Thank you! I looked in the archive before posting, but I didn't find
anything describing my problem. Perhaps I only tried the wrong keywords...

Chris
--
Christian Seitz <[hidden email]>     http://www.in-berlin.de/
Individual Network Berlin e.V.

PGP Fingerprint: A9 17 03 0D 36 AB 07 4E  D0 1E C3 8E 3F B0 66 9A
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
| Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with "#" in username

Christian Seitz
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Christian Seitz wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Kevin Bonner wrote:
>
>> See safe-characters in postgresql.conf. Search the list archives for
>> more info, as this has been talked about many times before.
>
> Thank you! I looked in the archive before posting, but I didn't find
> anything describing my problem. Perhaps I only tried the wrong
> keywords...

The example line for "safe-characters" is only in sql.conf, not in
postgresql.conf (at least in this debian version). I didn't read the whole
sql.conf, because it's for mysql only, so I didn't find it when doing the
configuration...

Thanks again, it's working now ;-)

Chris
--
Christian Seitz <[hidden email]>     http://www.in-berlin.de/
Individual Network Berlin e.V.

PGP Fingerprint: A9 17 03 0D 36 AB 07 4E  D0 1E C3 8E 3F B0 66 9A
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html