newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

12

newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
Hi,

First, sorry for the long post...

I am new to radius in general and freeradius and am attempting to set up a
credit card based wifi access point where you can buy time to surf the
internet for certain alotments of time. The configuration should kick them
off when their alloted paid for time expires and redirect them to a web page
so that they can buy more time.

I have some questions the progress we have made and would very much
appreciate any information anyone could provide.

I apologize for any ignorance or assumptions about how the set up would
work, as I am just fumbling through.

I have set up freeradius on a linux server and I have it successfully
talking to a mySQL database that has radcheck, radreply, radacct tables,
etc. I am able to use the natradping utility to get accept/reject messages
from it based on entries in radcheck.

I have a NAS device (nomadix ag-2000w) that I can get it to correctly
recognize a wireless laptop and authenticate against entries in the radius
database.

I am sending a session-timeout attribute in my reply message and my nas is
correctly coming up with an expiration time based on that.

Basically my process is like this.

Login:
1. I have a separate database from radius that authenticates the user's
login/password. I delete all rows from from radcheck for this user. I delete
all rows from radreply for this user. I add back a radcheck record and
radreply session-timeout record that corresponds to how much time left that
they have paid for. Now I log them in (using an xml command to my nas). My
nas correctly reports the expire time based on the session-timeout that I
inserted. After the user is logged in, I add another row to radcheck that is
an auth-type reject. This is so that when the nas time expires and it tries
to reauthenticate with radius, it will get a reject message and not allow
surfing to continue. I believe this is the wrong way to be doing things and
I think radacct is the table for this but I do not understand how that table
fits in or if the nas device is supposed to be inserting into radacct or
what. My question here is that should I be using radacct in some way to
influence the reject/accept response when the session times out for the
user.

By the way, if the user tries to login again, they wont be hit with the
auth-type reject in their response because I am clearing out radcheck and
radreply first.

User is trying to add time:
I update my non-radius database with how much time they have purchased. I
log the user out of my nas device (using an xml command). I delete
everything from radcheck and radreply for this user. I add back a radcheck
record for this user. I add a session-timout record to radreply for this
user that corresponds to how much additional time they just purchased. I log
the user back in, resyncing the nas with the session-timeout in radius.
After they are logged in again I add back a auth-type reject to radcheck so
that when their time runs out again they will be kicked off.

The underlying problem with this set up is that the order of the
logout/login/insert reject into radcheck bits seem not to happen in order. I
am issuing xml commands to my nas to do the login/logout. So sometimes it
seems that the logout happens after the login xml command or the login
happens after the reject row is inserted, effectively blocking the user
incorrectly.

Basically, I would like some advice as to where I am going wrong in the
process and what is the correct way that radacct comes into play. I have my
nas set up to have accounting enabled and I see radacct getting written to
but I don't understand how AcctStartTime, AcctStopTime comes into play
although that looks interesting. Any guidance here would be great.

Thanks for any info or direction you can provide.
-will

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Alan DeKok
"Will Carter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1. I have a separate database from radius that authenticates the user's
> login/password. I delete all rows from from radcheck for this user. I delete
> all rows from radreply for this user. I add back a radcheck record and
> radreply session-timeout record that corresponds to how much time left that
> they have paid for. Now I log them in (using an xml command to my nas).

  Wow... why not just use the "sqlcounter" module, which keeps track
of all of this for you?

> The underlying problem with this set up is that

  ... it's unnecessarily complicated.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
Thanks for pointing in the right direction with rlm_sqlcounter. I think I
have it working correctly, but I am not seeing how the following situation
can be accounted for.

The Max-All-Session attribute is working great if I want to allow a user to
buy a block of time and they can use it in increments. But say I want a user
to be able to buy a block of time that will expire at a certain time
regardless of how long they spend online during that time.

Can you give me an idea of the direction I should go to accomplish this?

Thanks again for the help and please excuse my ignorance as I am just
muddling through this.

Thanks,
will

> 1. I have a separate database from radius that authenticates the user's
> login/password. I delete all rows from from radcheck for this user. I
delete
> all rows from radreply for this user. I add back a radcheck record and
> radreply session-timeout record that corresponds to how much time left
that
> they have paid for. Now I log them in (using an xml command to my nas).

  Wow... why not just use the "sqlcounter" module, which keeps track
of all of this for you?

> The underlying problem with this set up is that

  ... it's unnecessarily complicated.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Alan DeKok
"Will Carter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Max-All-Session attribute is working great if I want to allow a user to
> buy a block of time and they can use it in increments. But say I want a user
> to be able to buy a block of time that will expire at a certain time
> regardless of how long they spend online during that time.
>
> Can you give me an idea of the direction I should go to accomplish this?

  Login-Time, or Expiration.  See the README's.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
Thanks for your help and again I apologize for my freeradius/linux
ignorance.

I tried to implement rlm_expiration

insert into radcheck
(username, attribute, op, value)
values ('testUser','Expiration',':=','25 May 2006 15:31')

But my nas is not picking up a session time-out based on this (the
rlm_expiration doc is leading me to believe it should do this)

>From rlm_expiration doc:

Expiration attribute format:

You can use Expiration := "23 Sep 2004" and the user will
no longer be able to connect at 00:00 (midnight) on September 23rd,
2004.  If you want a certain time (other than midnight) you can do
use  Expiration := "23 Sep 2004 12:00".
The nas will receive a Session-Timeout attribute calculated to kick
the user off when the Expiration time occurs.

Then I thought maybe I don't have the rlm_expiration module installed.

When I configured the freeradius install I used --with-experimental-modules.

So, I checked out what rlm*.so modules are in
/usr/local/lib/

rlm_expiration is not there

is this my problem?

If so, how do I specify which modules to install when executing the
./configure command?

-will

> The Max-All-Session attribute is working great if I want to allow a user
> buy a block of time and they can use it in increments. But say I want a
user
> to be able to buy a block of time that will expire at a certain time
> regardless of how long they spend online during that time.
>
> Can you give me an idea of the direction I should go to accomplish this?

  Login-Time, or Expiration.  See the README's.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
I tried this (adding the with-static-modules=expiration) when configuring.
Am I barking up the wrong tree?

./configure
--localstatedir=/var
--sysconfdir=/etc
--with-mysql-include-dir=/usr/include/mysql
--with-mysql-lib-dir=/usr/lib/mysql
--with-mysql-dir=/usr/bin/mysql
--with-experimental-modules
--with-static-modules=expiration

I dont seem to have this 'rlm_expiration' folder or files underneath Why
could this be?

/freeradius-1.0.2/modules/rlm_expiration/.libs/rlm_expiration.a

am

> The Max-All-Session attribute is working great if I want to allow a user
> buy a block of time and they can use it in increments. But say I want a
user
> to be able to buy a block of time that will expire at a certain time
> regardless of how long they spend online during that time.
>
> Can you give me an idea of the direction I should go to accomplish this?

  Login-Time, or Expiration.  See the README's.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

"Will Carter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When I configured the freeradius install I used --with-experimental-modules.
>
> So, I checked out what rlm*.so modules are in
> /usr/local/lib/
>
> rlm_expiration is not there

  Which version of the server are you running?

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
freeradius-1.0.2

I noticed that the docs I was looking at that mentioned rlm_expiration was a
different version. So that explains why I wouldn't have that module.

I still should be able to make an insert into radcheck such as the following
and expect my nas to get a session-timeout, correct?

insert into radcheck
(username, attribute, op, value)
values ('testUser','Expiration',':=','25 May 2006 15:31')

seems that I am having the same sort of problem as this post.
http://lists.freeradius.org/mailman/htdig/freeradius-users/2005-March/042308
.html

any ideas?

-will

> When I configured the freeradius install I used
--with-experimental-modules.

> So, I checked out what rlm*.so modules are in
> /usr/local/lib/
>
> rlm_expiration is not there

  Which version of the server are you running?

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
I installed version 1.0.4 reconfigured and tried again. Still getting the
same issue. Any ideas?

Thanks,
will

> When I configured the freeradius install I used
--with-experimental-modules.

> So, I checked out what rlm*.so modules are in
> /usr/local/lib/
>
> rlm_expiration is not there

  Which version of the server are you running?

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
I apologize for posting again.

Am I correct in thinking that this issue has been addressed after the 1.0.4
release? This post is making me think this.
http://lists.freeradius.org/mailman/htdig/freeradius-users/2005-June/044769.
html

Am I correct to think that if I install one of the nightly builds that is
after the 1.0.4, then this issue should be addressed. I actually tried to
install the 07282005 snapshot but it wouldn't compile.

Thanks and please excuse my ignorance. Any info you can provide would be
greatly appreciated.

will

> When I configured the freeradius install I used
--with-experimental-modules.

> So, I checked out what rlm*.so modules are in
> /usr/local/lib/
>
> rlm_expiration is not there

  Which version of the server are you running?

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Alan DeKok
"Will Carter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am I correct to think that if I install one of the nightly builds that is
> after the 1.0.4, then this issue should be addressed. I actually tried to
> install the 07282005 snapshot but it wouldn't compile.

  Hmm... that's not good.  Anyways, the latest snapshots change a
*lot* more than you need.  I suggest doing a "cvs checkout" yourself:

$ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source login
<blah>
$ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source co -r release_1_0 radiusd

  Should get you 1.0.4 with a few fixes.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
Ok, now I am completely into new territory. Never did a cvs checkout before.
Learn something new every day.

Just to be clear before I keep going down this track...

My underlying problem is that I am setting an Expiration value in radcheck,
but Session-Timeout is not getting being returned in the authorization
request that is in line with the Expiration value I inserted.

Based on this post:
http://lists.freeradius.org/mailman/htdig/freeradius-users/2005-June/044769.
html

I believe that a fix was made to this problem that is not in the 1.0.4
release and somehow I have to get my hands on a version of freeradius has
the fix (rlm_expiration module is in there).

Am I correct?

Thanks,
-will

> Am I correct to think that if I install one of the nightly builds that is
> after the 1.0.4, then this issue should be addressed. I actually tried to
> install the 07282005 snapshot but it wouldn't compile.

  Hmm... that's not good.  Anyways, the latest snapshots change a
*lot* more than you need.  I suggest doing a "cvs checkout" yourself:

$ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source login
<blah>
$ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source co -r release_1_0
radiusd

  Should get you 1.0.4 with a few fixes.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
Ok, I am not getting this to work after numerous tries and am feeling
frustrated and ignorant.

$ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source login
$ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source co -r release_1_0
radiusd

Is it correct to say that after I successfully execute the 2 commands above
that I should have a set of code that I need to compile with configure,
make, and make install? When I attempt this, I get a set of files but am not
successful at compiling them.

Thanks and I appreciate your patience or advice you can give.
-will

> Am I correct to think that if I install one of the nightly builds that is
> after the 1.0.4, then this issue should be addressed. I actually tried to
> install the 07282005 snapshot but it wouldn't compile.

  Hmm... that's not good.  Anyways, the latest snapshots change a
*lot* more than you need.  I suggest doing a "cvs checkout" yourself:

$ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source login
<blah>
$ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source co -r release_1_0
radiusd

  Should get you 1.0.4 with a few fixes.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Alan DeKok
"Will Carter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it correct to say that after I successfully execute the 2 commands above
> that I should have a set of code that I need to compile with configure,
> make, and make install?

  Yes.  This is *exactly* how 1.0.4 was created.  It's just a "tar"
file from that process.

>  When I attempt this, I get a set of files but am not successful at
> compiling them.

  Are you willng to say what errors you're seeing?

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
Please take a look here...
http://wcarter.webitects.com/freeRadiusDebug.html

This url outlines what I did and has links to the terminal output with each
command.

I executed these commands...
$ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source login
$ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source co -r release_1_0
radiusd

now I have a radiusd folder with what seems like all the files I need to
compile.

executing this configure...
./configure --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
--with-mysql-include-dir=/usr/include/mysql
--with-mysql-lib-dir=/usr/lib/mysql --with-mysql-dir=/usr/bin/mysql
--with-experimental-modules
configure debug

make

make install

> Is it correct to say that after I successfully execute the 2 commands
above
> that I should have a set of code that I need to compile with configure,
> make, and make install?

  Yes.  This is *exactly* how 1.0.4 was created.  It's just a "tar"
file from that process.

>  When I attempt this, I get a set of files but am not successful at
> compiling them.

  Are you willng to say what errors you're seeing?

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Alan DeKok
"Will Carter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please take a look here...
> http://wcarter.webitects.com/freeRadiusDebug.html
>
> This url outlines what I did and has links to the terminal output with each
> command.

  Which doesn't show any errors or problems.

  So... I'm not sure what to tell you.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
Hmmm...looked at it again. In my terminal I see errors/warnings that are not
appearing in the txt file when I do something like...

Make > configure.txt

How do I get the error/warning messages to appear in the text file?

-will

> This url outlines what I did and has links to the terminal output with
each
> command.

  Which doesn't show any errors or problems.

  So... I'm not sure what to tell you.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Julius Igugu
I think you have succesfully compiled and installed FreeRADIUS.

Try, "radiusd -X"

--- Will Carter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please take a look here...
> http://wcarter.webitects.com/freeRadiusDebug.html
>
> This url outlines what I did and has links to the terminal output with each
> command.
>
> I executed these commands...
> $ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source login
> $ cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/source co -r release_1_0
> radiusd
>
> now I have a radiusd folder with what seems like all the files I need to
> compile.
>
> executing this configure...
> ./configure --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
> --with-mysql-include-dir=/usr/include/mysql
> --with-mysql-lib-dir=/usr/lib/mysql --with-mysql-dir=/usr/bin/mysql
> --with-experimental-modules
> configure debug
>
> make
>
> make install

SouthWork Co. Ltd.

RE: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Will Carter
doesn't start. There are no files in my /etc/raddb at this point.
-will

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: newbie questions using freeradius as wifi access point

Alan DeKok
"Will Carter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> doesn't start. There are no files in my /etc/raddb at this point.

  Then the build and/or make install failed.

$ script log.txt
$ configure ....
$ make
$ make install

  If you see errors at any point DO NOT go to the next step.  You
should be able to post a summary of the errors in a message to the
list.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
12