chap: ERROR: &control:Cleartext-Password is required for authentication

chap: ERROR: &control:Cleartext-Password is required for authentication

Cesare Esposito
Dear freeradius users,

I have the following error for one authorisation:
"chap: ERROR: &control:Cleartext-Password is required for authentication" as you can also see in the debug text.

Usually this error is related to a missing password or a wrong password.
However I am using almost the same authorisation procedure on another freeradius platform
And on the other platform the authorisation worked well without problems.
So my question is
Are there other known grounds to have the above error ?

mit freundlichen Grüssen  /  Best Regards

Cesare Esposito

Manager Network Engineering
Tel: +492215000254
Mobile: +491635000627
Mail: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]%3cmailto:[hidden email]>>
Inquam Solutions GmbH, Adolf-Grimme-Allee 3, D-50829 Köln,
Geschäftsführer: Carsten Ullrich, Andrzej Cwik Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Köln HRB 33214
Disclaimer:
This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged or confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete the original message including any attachments and destroy all copies thereof. Thank you for your cooperation.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

debug-text-measdevices.txt (59K) Download Attachment

Re: chap: ERROR: &control:Cleartext-Password is required for authentication

Matthew Newton-3
On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 15:33 +0200, Cesare Esposito wrote:

> I have the following error for one authorisation:
> "chap: ERROR: &control:Cleartext-Password is required for
> authentication" as you can also see in the debug text.
>
> Usually this error is related to a missing password or a wrong
> password.
> However I am using almost the same authorisation procedure on another
> freeradius platform
> And on the other platform the authorisation worked well without
> problems.
> So my question is
> Are there other known grounds to have the above error ?

No

(8) sql: EXPAND SELECT id, username, attr, value, op FROM radcheck WHERE username = '%{SQL-User-Name}' ORDER BY id
(8) sql:    --> SELECT id, username, attr, value, op FROM radcheck WHERE username = '[hidden email]' ORDER BY id
(8) sql: Executing select query: SELECT id, username, attr, value, op FROM radcheck WHERE username = '[hidden email]' ORDER BY id

So what happens when you run that query against the database yourself
(as the same user FreeRADIUS uses). Do you get the Cleartext-Password
attribute in the reply?

--
Matthew