capturing radius performance metrics

Munroe Sollog
I would like to monitor the ongoing real-world performance of my freeradius
server.  In this case, I'm defining performance as time between receiving
request and sending answer.  I have used radsniff and radclient to do some
benchmarking, but neither really seem like a sustainable or appropriate
solution for long-term data collection in a production environment.

Is there a way to add the "total response time" to the log line? or maybe
there is a statistics channel like bind has to access performance metrics?

I am able to collect a similar metric from the NAS as well as from some
"fake" clients I configured to track radius authentication performance.
I'm hoping there is a way to also gather this from the freeradius service
directly.

Thanks.
--
Munroe Sollog
Senior Network Engineer

Re: capturing radius performance metrics

Alan DeKok-2
On Jan 3, 2020, at 4:15 PM, Munroe Sollog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to monitor the ongoing real-world performance of my freeradius
> server.  In this case, I'm defining performance as time between receiving
> request and sending answer.  I have used radsniff and radclient to do some
> benchmarking, but neither really seem like a sustainable or appropriate
> solution for long-term data collection in a production environment.
>
> Is there a way to add the "total response time" to the log line? or maybe
> there is a statistics channel like bind has to access performance metrics?
>
> I am able to collect a similar metric from the NAS as well as from some
> "fake" clients I configured to track radius authentication performance.
> I'm hoping there is a way to also gather this from the freeradius service
> directly.

  You can user radmin to get overall statistics from the server.  There's a "stats" command.  Just connect via radmin and type "help".

  See the stats via:

radmin> stats client auth
..

  and a number of statistics will be printed out.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: capturing radius performance metrics

Nathan Ward

> On 4/01/2020, at 10:15 AM, Munroe Sollog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would like to monitor the ongoing real-world performance of my freeradius
> server.  In this case, I'm defining performance as time between receiving
> request and sending answer.  I have used radsniff and radclient to do some
> benchmarking, but neither really seem like a sustainable or appropriate
> solution for long-term data collection in a production environment.

You can have radsniff write to a collectd socket. I have this in many many production servers, it works very well.

Collectd can write out many formats, including to other collection services over a network.

Of course, it shows packet rate etc. stats rather than radius process internal stats, but it gets you most of the way there.

--
Nathan Ward