Wrong dependency in Gentoo

Geaaru
Hi guys,

there is an old issue in Gentoo bugzilla created before that i'm became
Freeradius Ebuild Maintainer with (I think) a wrong dependency.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/662074

For some reason maybe in the past MSCHAP was related to Samba library?

I think that is an error but can anyone confirm this.

Thanks in advance.
-- geaaru
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/devel.html

Re: Wrong dependency in Gentoo

Matthew Newton-3
On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 09:39 +0100, Geaaru wrote:
> there is an old issue in Gentoo bugzilla created before that i'm
> became Freeradius Ebuild Maintainer with (I think) a wrong
> dependency.
>
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/662074
>
> For some reason maybe in the past MSCHAP was related to Samba
> library?

It still is.

If you build FreeRADIUS in the presence of the Samba libraries
(specifically libwbclient), then rlm_mschap will link against it and
enable you to authenticate directly against winbind, and therefore AD.

If libwbclient isn't available, it won't link against it.

The configure output is clear about what it's doing.

In both cases, internal MSCHAP auth will work. It just affects
externally authenticating against AD.

> I think that is an error but can anyone confirm this.

If you depend on Samba, people who want to use direct winbind auth will
be able to, and everyone gets an extra 15kb library.

If you don't depend on Samba, useful functionality is lost for those
who need it.

I know which one I'd choose...

--
Matthew

Re: Wrong dependency in Gentoo

Geaaru
Hi Matthew,
thank you very much for the explanation.
So, there is something to fix in Gentoo ebuild that block use of Samba
when samba use flag is disable.

On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 09:38 +0000, Matthew Newton wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 09:39 +0100, Geaaru wrote:
> > there is an old issue in Gentoo bugzilla created before that
> > i'mbecame Freeradius Ebuild Maintainer with (I think) a
> > wrongdependency.
> > https://bugs.gentoo.org/662074
> >
> > For some reason maybe in the past MSCHAP was related to
> > Sambalibrary?
>
> It still is.
> If you build FreeRADIUS in the presence of the Samba
> libraries(specifically libwbclient), then rlm_mschap will link
> against it andenable you to authenticate directly against winbind,
> and therefore AD.
> If libwbclient isn't available, it won't link against it.
> The configure output is clear about what it's doing.
> In both cases, internal MSCHAP auth will work. It just
> affectsexternally authenticating against AD.
>
> > I think that is an error but can anyone confirm this.
>
> If you depend on Samba, people who want to use direct winbind auth
> willbe able to, and everyone gets an extra 15kb library.
> If you don't depend on Samba, useful functionality is lost for
> thosewho need it.
> I know which one I'd choose...
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/devel.html

Re: Wrong dependency in Gentoo

Alan DeKok-2
On Oct 29, 2019, at 5:53 AM, Geaaru <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So, there is something to fix in Gentoo ebuild that block use of Samba
> when samba use flag is disable.

  Yes.

  It's a little disappointing.  If you just do "configure / make / make install", then it will build rlm_mschap.  *Always*.

  Someone went out of their way to break the build on Gentoo, by requiring Samba for rlm_mschap.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/devel.html

On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 06:32 -0400, Alan DeKok wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2019, at 5:53 AM, Geaaru <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > So, there is something to fix in Gentoo ebuild that block use of
> > Samba when samba use flag is disable.
>
>   Yes.
>
>   It's a little disappointing.  If you just do "configure / make /
> make install", then it will build rlm_mschap.  *Always*.

Yeah, exactly.

>   Someone went out of their way to break the build on Gentoo, by
> requiring Samba for rlm_mschap.

It's more that someone has helpfully added Samba as a requirement so
that direct winbind auth works, and then someone else is complaining
that they don't want Samba on their system.

Honestly, life's too short. Install the Samba libraries, move on. Or if
they really care that much they could stop complaining and just take
the dependency out manually themselves before rebuilding.

--
Matthew