We have a new web site!

Alan DeKok-2
  Thanks to Arran for pushing the design, and Matthew Newton for making it live.

https://freeradius.org/

  The design is modern, and replaces one designed in 2008 (IIRC).

  Please let us know your opinions.  Does anything need changing?  Are things easy to find?

  One big change is that the modules have their own page.  Each module is documented by type (authentication, database, etc.).  Where possible, that also points to module-specific documentation.

  The goal is to have not only a modern web site, but a site which is easier to navigate.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

Yusuf Siddiqui
Looks Nice and trendy.

Regards
Mohd Yusuf Siddiqui
email: [hidden email]
www. <http://www.ibots.org/>fiyutech.com
Mob. +91.991.033.914.3,+91.989.102.455.4
Off:+91.120.

​49.89.65.4
U.S. +120.975.347.57

*__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________*

This communication & accompanying documents ("this e-mail") contains
confidential and/or privileged information for exclusive    use of the
individual
to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please
immediately notify the company & delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized use
or disclosure of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Representations in this
e-mail are subject to contract. As an e-mail user please be cautious of the
technical & other vulnerabilities of the internet which may result in malicious
and/or unauthorized access to / use / alteration of e-mails/e-mail IDs.
Thank you.

*_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________*

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 8:42 PM, Alan DeKok <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>   Thanks to Arran for pushing the design, and Matthew Newton for making it
> live.
>
> https://freeradius.org/
>
>   The design is modern, and replaces one designed in 2008 (IIRC).
>
>   Please let us know your opinions.  Does anything need changing?  Are
> things easy to find?
>
>   One big change is that the modules have their own page.  Each module is
> documented by type (authentication, database, etc.).  Where possible, that
> also points to module-specific documentation.
>
>   The goal is to have not only a modern web site, but a site which is
> easier to navigate.

> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/
> list/users.html
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

Timo Buhrmester
>   The design is modern
Cool! Javascript! And it feels like a smartphone app.  I already feel
all warm and fuzzy inside.  /s

Thanks for rendering the website "modern", because clearly "modern" is
the future.  Can't have websites that are discernible from each other.

Or websites that wouldn't depend on pointless Javash^Hcript, for that
matter...
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

Johnny R
Sexy and cool! I was a bit lost when looking around for the wiki ... But it
is there! ...

v4s[at]#unrelated | "sh3ll is just the beginning"

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 6:12 PM, Alan DeKok <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>   Thanks to Arran for pushing the design, and Matthew Newton for making it
> live.
>
> https://freeradius.org/
>
>   The design is modern, and replaces one designed in 2008 (IIRC).
>
>   Please let us know your opinions.  Does anything need changing?  Are
> things easy to find?
>
>   One big change is that the modules have their own page.  Each module is
> documented by type (authentication, database, etc.).  Where possible, that
> also points to module-specific documentation.
>
>   The goal is to have not only a modern web site, but a site which is
> easier to navigate.

> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/
> list/users.html
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

Waqas Toor
Looks great. Love the mascot

On Aug 8, 2017 6:13 PM, "Alan DeKok" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   Thanks to Arran for pushing the design, and Matthew Newton for making it
> live.
>
> https://freeradius.org/
>
>   The design is modern, and replaces one designed in 2008 (IIRC).
>
>   Please let us know your opinions.  Does anything need changing?  Are
> things easy to find?
>
>   One big change is that the modules have their own page.  Each module is
> documented by type (authentication, database, etc.).  Where possible, that
> also points to module-specific documentation.
>
>   The goal is to have not only a modern web site, but a site which is
> easier to navigate.

> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/
> list/users.html
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

arr2036

> On 8 Aug 2017, at 11:25, Timo Buhrmester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  The design is modern
> Cool! Javascript! And it feels like a smartphone app.  I already feel
> all warm and fuzzy inside.  /s
>
> Thanks for rendering the website "modern", because clearly "modern" is
> the future.  Can't have websites that are discernible from each other.
>
> Or websites that wouldn't depend on pointless Javash^Hcript, for that
> matter…
We’ll release a text only version that runs over telnet later in the year.

-Arran

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

Brian Julin
Waqas Toor wrote:
> Love the mascot

Ditto.  Great choice on the mascot.  Very apt.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

Alan Buxey
nice looking site, nice to see images of the team - 3 of the best IT
folk that the HE sector had that I ever worked with  :)

alan

On 8 August 2017 at 16:33, Brian Julin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Waqas Toor wrote:
>> Love the mascot
>
> Ditto.  Great choice on the mascot.  Very apt.
>
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

Stefan Paetow-3
Very like! :-)

Stefan Paetow
Moonshot Industry & Research Liaison Coordinator

t: +44 (0)1235 822 125
gpg: 0x3FCE5142
xmpp: [hidden email]
skype: stefan.paetow.janet

jisc.ac.uk

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT
No. GB 197 0632 86. Jisc¹s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower
Hill, Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.

From:  Freeradius-Users
<freeradius-users-bounces+stefan.paetow=[hidden email]>
on behalf of Alan DeKok <[hidden email]>
Date:  Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 16:12
To:  "[hidden email]"
<[hidden email]>
Subject:  We have a new web site!

>  Thanks to Arran for pushing the design, and Matthew Newton for making
>it live.
>
>https://freeradius.org/
>
>  The design is modern, and replaces one designed in 2008 (IIRC).
>
>  Please let us know your opinions.  Does anything need changing?  Are
>things easy to find?
>
>  One big change is that the modules have their own page.  Each module is
>documented by type (authentication, database, etc.).  Where possible,
>that also points to module-specific documentation.
>
>  The goal is to have not only a modern web site, but a site which is
>easier to navigate.
>
>  Alan DeKok.
>

>-
>List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See
>http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

Puzzel
Really nice. Good job!

9 sie 2017 4:20 PM "Stefan Paetow" <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> Very like! :-)
>
> Stefan Paetow
> Moonshot Industry & Research Liaison Coordinator
>
> t: +44 (0)1235 822 125
> gpg: 0x3FCE5142
> xmpp: [hidden email]
> skype: stefan.paetow.janet
>
> jisc.ac.uk
>
> Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
> guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT
> No. GB 197 0632 86. Jisc¹s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower
> Hill, Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.
>

> From:  Freeradius-Users
> <freeradius-users-bounces+stefan.paetow=[hidden email]>
> on behalf of Alan DeKok <[hidden email]>
> Date:  Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 16:12
> To:  "[hidden email]"
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject:  We have a new web site!
>

> >  Thanks to Arran for pushing the design, and Matthew Newton for making
> >it live.
> >
> >https://freeradius.org/
> >
> >  The design is modern, and replaces one designed in 2008 (IIRC).
> >
> >  Please let us know your opinions.  Does anything need changing?  Are
> >things easy to find?
> >
> >  One big change is that the modules have their own page.  Each module is
> >documented by type (authentication, database, etc.).  Where possible,
> >that also points to module-specific documentation.
> >
> >  The goal is to have not only a modern web site, but a site which is
> >easier to navigate.
> >
> >  Alan DeKok.
> >

> >-
> >List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See
> >http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
>

> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/
> list/users.html
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

Sebastian Hagedorn
> https://freeradius.org/
>
>   The design is modern, and replaces one designed in 2008 (IIRC).
>
>   Please let us know your opinions.  Does anything need changing?  Are
> things easy to find?

I like the new design, but am I the only one who expected the three blocks
with "Internet Service Providers", "Enterprise Networks" and "Educational
Institutions" to be clickable? I expected links to subpages with specific
information regarding these three topics.

Cheers
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121, Zimmer 2.02
Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK)

Re: We have a new web site!

Alan DeKok-2
On Aug 9, 2017, at 6:01 PM, Sebastian Hagedorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like the new design, but am I the only one who expected the three blocks with "Internet Service Providers", "Enterprise Networks" and "Educational Institutions" to be clickable? I expected links to subpages with specific information regarding these three topics.

  Good feedback, we'll work on it.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

Matthew Newton-3
On Wed, 2017-08-09 at 18:01 +0200, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
> I like the new design, but am I the only one who expected the three
> blocks
> with "Internet Service Providers", "Enterprise Networks" and
> "Educational
> Institutions" to be clickable? I expected links to subpages with
> specific
> information regarding these three topics.

Nice idea. You can click on the "+" under each one to expand it, but
maybe they should offer more than that.

Thanks all for any feedback - please let us know, so we can try and
improve the site further. Especially things like "I was looking for X
but couldn't find it where I was expecting".

Not that there are any promises of changing everything asked... but
feedback really does help inform decisions.

--
Matthew

Re: We have a new web site!

Niels Tomey
Agreed on this suggestion. I happen to work for an ISP, so we might look
into using something like freeradius to allow / disallow subscribers to
connect. We might also look into using freeradius to allow engineers to
access the equipment that we deploy these clients. Of course we could also
want to use freeradius in our office to allow people to connect to our
internal WiFi.

When I first saw the new website I thought that these buttons would
introduce me to various use cases like this or to other scenarios. It could
then further point to different parts of the documentation.

Regards,

Niels
On 10 Aug 2017 01:25, "Matthew Newton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-08-09 at 18:01 +0200, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
> > I like the new design, but am I the only one who expected the three
> > blocks
> > with "Internet Service Providers", "Enterprise Networks" and
> > "Educational
> > Institutions" to be clickable? I expected links to subpages with
> > specific
> > information regarding these three topics.
>
> Nice idea. You can click on the "+" under each one to expand it, but
> maybe they should offer more than that.
>
> Thanks all for any feedback - please let us know, so we can try and
> improve the site further. Especially things like "I was looking for X
> but couldn't find it where I was expecting".
>
> Not that there are any promises of changing everything asked... but
> feedback really does help inform decisions.
>
> --
> Matthew

Re: We have a new web site!

Alan DeKok-2
On Aug 9, 2017, at 7:48 PM, Niels Tomey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed on this suggestion. I happen to work for an ISP, so we might look
> into using something like freeradius to allow / disallow subscribers to
> connect. We might also look into using freeradius to allow engineers to
> access the equipment that we deploy these clients. Of course we could also
> want to use freeradius in our office to allow people to connect to our
> internal WiFi.

  Yup.  All that makes sense.

  Once we make a little more progress on v4, we should allow for TACACS+, too.

> When I first saw the new website I thought that these buttons would
> introduce me to various use cases like this or to other scenarios. It could
> then further point to different parts of the documentation.

  That's a good idea, but that documentation has to be written.  :(

  And the short answer is that each ISP / Telco / Enterprise is different.  We can only give high-level overviews of what to do, and what not to do.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

arr2036

> On 9 Aug 2017, at 19:56, Alan DeKok <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Aug 9, 2017, at 7:48 PM, Niels Tomey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed on this suggestion. I happen to work for an ISP, so we might look
>> into using something like freeradius to allow / disallow subscribers to
>> connect. We might also look into using freeradius to allow engineers to
>> access the equipment that we deploy these clients. Of course we could also
>> want to use freeradius in our office to allow people to connect to our
>> internal WiFi.
>
>  Yup.  All that makes sense.
>
>  Once we make a little more progress on v4, we should allow for TACACS+, too.
>
>> When I first saw the new website I thought that these buttons would
>> introduce me to various use cases like this or to other scenarios. It could
>> then further point to different parts of the documentation.
>
>  That's a good idea, but that documentation has to be written.  :(
>
>  And the short answer is that each ISP / Telco / Enterprise is different.  We can only give high-level overviews of what to do, and what not to do.
We could rearrange the wiki to group cookbooks based on deployment environment.  I think this is good/valid feedback, I’ll work with @mcn to transfer his todo list into something on GitHub for the www.freeradius.org repo and we can nibble away at it over time.

-Arran

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

Stefan Paetow-3
> We could rearrange the wiki to group cookbooks based on deployment environment.  I think this is good/valid feedback, I’ll work with @mcn to transfer his todo list into something on GitHub for the www.freeradius.org repo and we can nibble away at it over time.

Happy to help with docs if you point me at notes that we can put together.

Stefan Paetow
Moonshot Industry & Research Liaison Coordinator

t: +44 (0)1235 822 125
gpg: 0x3FCE5142
xmpp: [hidden email]
skype: stefan.paetow.janet

jisc.ac.uk

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

arr2036

> On 10 Aug 2017, at 18:03, Stefan Paetow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We could rearrange the wiki to group cookbooks based on deployment environment.  I think this is good/valid feedback, I’ll work with @mcn to transfer his todo list into something on GitHub for the www.freeradius.org repo and we can nibble away at it over time.
>
> Happy to help with docs if you point me at notes that we can put together.

Just got everything into the GitHub tracker.  Will hopefully have time to put something together for each of the categories soon.

If anyone notices any issues with the site, or has any suggestions, feel free to open an issue.

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/www.freeradius.org/issues

-Arran

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: We have a new web site!

arr2036

> On 8 Aug 2017, at 17:25, Timo Buhrmester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  The design is modern
> Cool! Javascript! And it feels like a smartphone app.  I already feel
> all warm and fuzzy inside.  /s
>
> Thanks for rendering the website "modern", because clearly "modern" is
> the future.  Can't have websites that are discernible from each other.
>
> Or websites that wouldn't depend on pointless Javash^Hcript, for that
> matter…
Looked into this a bit more,  didn’t realise the extent to which the design team had used unnecessary API calls and angular.js markup throughout the site.  The original intent was to use the API as an abstraction, so the backend scripts which trawl through Git, could be swapped out/enhanced at a later date without affecting the presentation side of things. The only really valid uses for the API are for getting information for server side static rendering (using Jekyll), returning search results, and maybe returning subsets of a particular dataset (arguably that could just be done with different pages in the case of module categories).

We'll endeavour to fix it and i've added an item to the GitHub tracker for the website.

That said, presenting criticism without specific technical focus, and with overt sarcasm meant your somewhat valid comments were initially ignored.  You might want to adjust your communications style to avoid being dismissed as just another fucking asshole who contributes nothing to OSS, and just wants to bitch and whine to make themselves feel important.

-Arran

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html