Problem with passwd module

Erling Paulsen
Hi.

I'm having sort of a cache problem using the passwd module.

I'm using the passwd module to lookup users in a SMBPASSWD file. This
works great. But if new users are added or a user change his/hers
password. Then I have to restart freeradius to make changes visible to
freeradius.

Is there a way I can make freeradius lookup the SMBPASSWD file each time
it tries to fetch user-data from it? It seems to me like it reads the file
to memory and caches it!

I have a script that makes a restart of the daemon everytime a new user is
added or users changes their passwords. It can be quite som restarts, and
I donæt like the risk of restarting the server so foten.

Any hints?

- Erling

Re: Problem with passwd module

Alan DeKok
Erling Paulsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm using the passwd module to lookup users in a SMBPASSWD file. This
> works great. But if new users are added or a user change his/hers
> password. Then I have to restart freeradius to make changes visible to
> freeradius.

  Or, send it a HUP signal.  That's how *all* of the configuration
files work.

> Is there a way I can make freeradius lookup the SMBPASSWD file each time
> it tries to fetch user-data from it? It seems to me like it reads the file
> to memory and caches it!

  Yes.  Reading the file for every request is slow, and pointless.

> I have a script that makes a restart of the daemon everytime a new user is
> added or users changes their passwords. It can be quite som restarts, and
> I don?t like the risk of restarting the server so foten.
>
> Any hints?

  Send it a HUP signal.

  Or, edit the source code to periodically reload the file.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Problem with passwd module

Thor Spruyt
Alan DeKok wrote:

> Erling Paulsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm using the passwd module to lookup users in a SMBPASSWD file. This
>> works great. But if new users are added or a user change his/hers
>> password. Then I have to restart freeradius to make changes visible
>> to freeradius.
>
>   Or, send it a HUP signal.  That's how *all* of the configuration
> files work.
>
>> Is there a way I can make freeradius lookup the SMBPASSWD file each
>> time it tries to fetch user-data from it? It seems to me like it
>> reads the file to memory and caches it!
>
>   Yes.  Reading the file for every request is slow, and pointless.
>
>> I have a script that makes a restart of the daemon everytime a new
>> user is added or users changes their passwords. It can be quite som
>> restarts, and I donæt like the risk of restarting the server so
>> foten.
>>
>> Any hints?

Consider a seperate backend in which to store user credentials and let samba
as well as freeradius auth against that backend.

--
Groeten, Regards, Salutations,

Thor Spruyt
M: +32 (0)475 67 22 65