Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Pableus
Hello, I have a FreeRADIUS server doing authentication and accounting with ADSL and with wireless users. The wireless users are connected to a MikroTik which is running a PPPoE server. There are absolutely no problems with the ADSL users, but the PPPoE users are constantly losing their connections and then reconnecting. En average, the length of sessions varies between 1 and 10 minutes and most times shows "Acct-Termination-Cause = User-Request".
I've checked the status of the wireless link but everything seems to be right. There are other wireless users in the same neighbourhood and some of them have this problem and others do not.

Thank you very much for any suggestions you can provide.

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Marinko Tarlać
I don't see anything related with freeRadius...

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Pableus
I was wondering if there is any FreeRADIUS setting I can configure/modify to avoid this problem...
Thanks again

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Christ Schlacta
Replace the broken mikrotik

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 23, 2010, at 13:25, Pableus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I have a FreeRADIUS server doing authentication and
> accounting with
> ADSL and with wireless users. The wireless users are connected to a
> MikroTik
> which is running a PPPoE server. There are absolutely no problems
> with the
> ADSL users, but the PPPoE users are constantly losing their
> connections and
> then reconnecting. En average, the length of sessions varies between
> 1 and
> 10 minutes and most times shows "Acct-Termination-Cause = User-
> Request".
> I've checked the status of the wireless link but everything seems to
> be
> right. There are other wireless users in the same neighbourhood and
> some of
> them have this problem and others do not.
>
> Thank you very much for any suggestions you can provide.

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Pableus
Broken MikroTik? No, it's a RouterOS running in a X86 HP server, which is currently handling about 1500 PPPoE clients. Now we are migrating the authentication process to a RADIUS and these problems appear.

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

EasyHorpak.com
On 24/11/2553 09:48, Pableus wrote:
> Broken MikroTik? No, it's a RouterOS running in a X86 HP server, which is
> currently handling about 1500 PPPoE clients. Now we are migrating the
> authentication process to a RADIUS and these problems appear.

It 's problems on Mikrotik . How many PPPoE Client online before
terminated occure?

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Pableus
I have not got the exact number right now. We're still doing tests, so for now a few clients authenticate with RADIUS, the rest follows as usual.
What catches my attention is that users only have problems when they are passed to the RADIUS, otherwise do not have problems with disconnections.

On 24/11/2553 11:05, Pableus wrote:
> I have not got the exact number right now. We're still doing tests, so for
> now a few clients authenticate with RADIUS, the rest follows as usual.
> What catches my attention is that users only have problems when they are
> passed to the RADIUS, otherwise do not have problems with disconnections.

show your ppp log.
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Johan Meiring
On 2010/11/24 06:05 AM, Pableus wrote:

> I have not got the exact number right now. We're still doing tests, so for
> now a few clients authenticate with RADIUS, the rest follows as usual.
> What catches my attention is that users only have problems when they are
> passed to the RADIUS, otherwise do not have problems with disconnections.

What you are saying....

My red car wont drive, but my green car does.
What is wrong with my red car?

We have NO IDEA.
You will have to troubleshoot yourself and come up with better info.

Cheers,

--

Johan Meiring
Cape PC Services CC

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

nick-14
Il 24/11/2010 5.05, Pableus ha scritto:
> I have not got the exact number right now. We're still doing tests, so for
> now a few clients authenticate with RADIUS, the rest follows as usual.
> What catches my attention is that users only have problems when they are
> passed to the RADIUS, otherwise do not have problems with disconnections.
Have a look at three things..

1. When does the error occur, immediately after a PPPoE service restart,
or the Mikrotik is restarted? We've noticed that if the service is
stopped, Mikrotik doesn't send all the Disconnect packets, so you can
have IP mismatches, and other issues which really aren't the fault of
the Radius server.

2. Have a good look at your wireless log, and try talking to some of the
clients who have the issue, it may be a CPE problem, or maybe they just
have a crappy signal.

3. Look at things like Idle Timeouts, and see if your NAS has any errors
like Radius Timeout..

4. As an aside, if you're doing 2.4 GHz, you could just be subject to
DOS issues..
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Pableus
But I still don't understand why the termination cause is, most of the times, "User-Request".

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Wayne Lee-2
Hello

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Pableus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But I still don't understand why the termitation cause is, most of the times,
> "User-Request".

"User-Request" is sent by the CPE is almost all cases unless there is
a fault with the connection between the CPE and the NAS. This is not a
radius issue.

Regards

Wayne
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Pableus
That's what I figured too, but why only happens when I move the authentication process from the MriktoTik to the RADIUS?
Thanks again

Re: Problem with FreeRADIUS + PPPoE + Mikrotik

Gideon le Grange

On 24 Nov 2010, at 3:12 PM, Pableus wrote:

> That's what I figured too, but why only happens when I move the
> authentication process from the MriktoTik to the RADIUS?

If you insist that this is a Radius problem and not a MikroTik config problem, you'll need to at least show us the Radius debugging from the MikroTik.

Do this to enable Radius debugging:

/system logging add topics=Radius

Now wait for one of your users to connect and then drop again, and do this to see the log:

/log print

Gideon
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html