Quantcast

PAP or CHAP implementation

Pete2001

Hello,

I have implemented an embedded client that sends authentication
requests either with User-Password (Attr Type 2) or CHAP-Password
(Attr Type 3). This works perfectly, the requests are accepted or
rejected from FreeRadius.

1. But how is User-Password (Attr Type 2) declared? Is this PAP? It
don't seems so, since in all descriptions PAP means plain text, and
the  User-Password  is  MD5'ed  with  random  authenticator and shared
secret. How to label this authentication for the client user?

2. When I use CHAP-Password (Attr Type 3) in the request it works
without problems. But shouldn't this attribute part of a Challenge
Response? How can I activate that?

Since I wrote my own client, I want a clean implementation and make no
mistakes.

Best Regards,

Peter

-

------------------

Moving Bytes Communications, Systementwicklung GmbH
Geschäftsführer Peter Sprenger
Carl-Sutor-Str.26
D-50226 Frechen
Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Köln, HRB 30047
Ust-IDNr.: DE195140727

Tel.: +49/2234/430-9207
Fax.: +49/2234/430-9205
Email: [hidden email]
http://www.moving-bytes.de

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: PAP or CHAP implementation

Alan DeKok-2
On May 5, 2017, at 1:09 PM, Peter Sprenger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have implemented an embedded client that sends authentication
> requests either with User-Password (Attr Type 2) or CHAP-Password
> (Attr Type 3). This works perfectly, the requests are accepted or
> rejected from FreeRadius.
>
> 1. But how is User-Password (Attr Type 2) declared?

  This isn't really the place to ask RADIUS protocol questions.  I suggest reading RFC 2865, and the FreeRADIUS code.  Between the two, all of these questions should be answered.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html