No response to status-server but radtest status ok

No response to status-server but radtest status ok

Arnaud LAURIOU
Hi,

On our eduroam FR proxy, we had a home_server in a dead state for several
hours. All status-server requests sent seemed to go unanswered.

During this period, I checked this home_server status with radtest : got
answers !

I tried to get this host alive by radmin: it fell back to zombie and
dead states again.

The only solution found to revive this home_server : restart the FR
process on our
proxy and the home_server remain to alive state.

So, here are my questions :

- Why the status-server requests sent by FR in dead state did not get
answered,
while those sent by radtest get response ?

- Is there a way to force a revive from a dead state even with
unanswered status-server
requests ?

Regards,

Arnaud Lauriou

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: No response to status-server but radtest status ok

Alan DeKok-2
On Oct 9, 2020, at 8:41 AM, Arnaud LAURIOU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On our eduroam FR proxy, we had a home_server in a dead state for several
> hours. All status-server requests sent seemed to go unanswered.

  That's usually an issue on the other end.  But it's possible that FreeRADIUS got stuck.

> During this period, I checked this home_server status with radtest : got answers !
>
> I tried to get this host alive by radmin: it fell back to zombie and dead states again.

  Hm... is it using the same source IP as radclient?

> The only solution found to revive this home_server : restart the FR process on our
> proxy and the home_server remain to alive state.
>
> So, here are my questions :
>
> - Why the status-server requests sent by FR in dead state did not get answered,
> while those sent by radtest get response ?

  It's not clear.

> - Is there a way to force a revive from a dead state even with unanswered status-server
> requests ?

  You can keep reviving it, but the server will keep marking it dead, if the home server doesn't respond.

  Try upgrading to 3.0.21.  Maybe that helps.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

On 10/9/20 7:28 PM, Alan DeKok wrote:
>> During this period, I checked this home_server status with radtest : got answers !
>>
>> I tried to get this host alive by radmin: it fell back to zombie and dead states again.
>    Hm... is it using the same source IP as radclient?
Yes, same source IP.

>> The only solution found to revive this home_server : restart the FR process on our
>> proxy and the home_server remain to alive state.
>>
>> So, here are my questions :
>>
>> - Why the status-server requests sent by FR in dead state did not get answered,
>> while those sent by radtest get response ?
>    It's not clear.
>
>> - Is there a way to force a revive from a dead state even with unanswered status-server
>> requests ?
>    You can keep reviving it, but the server will keep marking it dead, if the home server doesn't respond.
>
>    Try upgrading to 3.0.21.  Maybe that helps.
We already use that version.

Regards,

Arnaud Lauriou
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: No response to status-server but radtest status ok

Alan Buxey
hi,

does the server respond to status server packets at all? ie just send
status-server packets to the remote server.
how do you send status packets (what method are you using) - some
RADIUS platforms don't play nice.

alan

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

On 10/12/20 9:28 AM, Alan Buxey wrote:
> hi,
>
> does the server respond to status server packets at all? ie just send
> status-server packets to the remote server.
Yes
> how do you send status packets (what method are you using) - some
> RADIUS platforms don't play nice.
With radclient :
echo "Message-Authenticator = 0x00" | radclient -t 2 -r 3 <IP>:1812
status <secret>

Arnaud
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html