commit 38d2c9c6701091eb1b1b79afb5063e1c78e7424e (origin/v3.0.x, v3.0.x)
Author: Jorge Pereira <[hidden email]>
Date:   Fri Sep 20 20:00:04 2019 -0300

My goal is to be able to use C# relatively unsurprisingly with
FreeRADIUS. If this has been undertaken elsewhere and I've missed it,
happy to hear about it.
--
blake ramsdell | senior director, engineering | [hidden email]

Re: .NET module

Alan DeKok-2
On Jun 11, 2020, at 3:32 PM, Blake Ramsdell via Freeradius-Devel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have implemented some portion of a .NET module for FreeRADIUS, using
> the rlm_python and rlm_perl as somewhat of a model, with .NET Core
> 3.1.101.

  Nice!

> If this is of general interest and welcome, I can submit a PR. The
> biggest impediment right now is probably going back and updating the
> commits to GPG sign them. Changes are self-contained in a new
> rlm_dotnet module. I did this against the v3 branch at some point in
> the past, this is the base

  Sure.  The changes should merge cleanly.

  My $0.02 is to just submit it as a PR with one commit that adds the whole module.  There isn't really a need to see the development history of the module.

> My goal is to be able to use C# relatively unsurprisingly with
> FreeRADIUS. If this has been undertaken elsewhere and I've missed it,
> happy to hear about it.

  I haven't seen it.

  We're always happy to take new patches.  If you send something over, we can include it in the next release.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/devel.html

Re: .NET module

Devel mailing list
On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 1:29 PM Alan DeKok <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   We're always happy to take new patches.  If you send something over, we can include it in the next release.

Thanks! How complete would you like it to be before I make a PR? I
have some basics working right now where I can hook up and call an
authorize function in C# and send along any String, Date and IPv4
VALUE_PAIRs. These are logged via a callback that wraps radlog.

User-Name 1 4 140295417113200
String is test
User-Password 1 16 140295417113424
String is (junk)
Event-Timestamp 4 4 140295417113664
Date is 5/11/2020 8:26:22 PM +00:00
NAS-IP-Address 3 4 140295417113888
IP address is 127.0.0.1

I want to be respectful of your workflow and how complete you'd like
it, but at the same time if I'm going in the wrong direction I might
benefit from finding out about it sooner rather than later.
--

On Jun 11, 2020, at 6:54 PM, Blake Ramsdell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks! How complete would you like it to be before I make a PR? I
> have some basics working right now where I can hook up and call an
> authorize function in C# and send along any String, Date and IPv4
> VALUE_PAIRs. These are logged via a callback that wraps radlog.

  If you have a basic module that works, we're happy to look at that.

> User-Name 1 4 140295417113200
> String is test
> User-Password 1 16 140295417113424
> String is (junk)
> Event-Timestamp 4 4 140295417113664
> Date is 5/11/2020 8:26:22 PM +00:00
> NAS-IP-Address 3 4 140295417113888
> IP address is 127.0.0.1
>
> I want to be respectful of your workflow and how complete you'd like
> it, but at the same time if I'm going in the wrong direction I might
> benefit from finding out about it sooner rather than later.

  I know nothing about the .net thing.  So I'm presuming that everything you're doing there is OK.

  As for the rest, we're _very_ particular about code style, formatting, etc.  All of the code in the server looks pretty much the same.  If we get PRs with randomly formatted code, we _might_ pull them in. But we will immediately reformat the code to the FR standard.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/devel.html

Re: .NET module

Matthew Newton-3
On 11/06/2020 23:54, Blake Ramsdell via Freeradius-Devel wrote:
> I want to be respectful of your workflow and how complete you'd like
> it, but at the same time if I'm going in the wrong direction I might
> benefit from finding out about it sooner rather than later.

To add to Alan's message, see here for style info:

https://wiki.freeradius.org/contributing/coding-standards

Of course once you've got it in a form you think is acceptable, you can
do a PR for feedback - then force push on to the same PR to update it if
needed.

--
Matthew

Re: .NET module

Devel mailing list
On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 4:18 PM Matthew Newton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Of course once you've got it in a form you think is acceptable, you can
> do a PR for feedback - then force push on to the same PR to update it if
> needed.

OK, to start with, should I drop something on this mailing list (about
800 lines) or should I get my GPG act together and do it as a PR per
https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/master/.github/contributing.md
--
blake ramsdell | senior director, engineering | [hidden email]

Re: .NET module

Alan DeKok-2

> On Jun 11, 2020, at 8:56 PM, Blake Ramsdell via Freeradius-Devel <[hidden email]> wrote
>
> OK, to start with, should I drop something on this mailing list (about
> 800 lines) or should I get my GPG act together and do it as a PR per
> https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/master/.github/contributing.md

  We'd prefer a PR.

  Don't worry about any "configure" magic, unless you've already done that.  Just a "rlm_dotnet.c" file and an "all.mk" file with compiler flags is good enough to start.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/devel.html

Re: .NET module

Devel mailing list
On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 5:35 AM Alan DeKok <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Jun 11, 2020, at 8:56 PM, Blake Ramsdell via Freeradius-Devel <[hidden email]> wrote
>   Don't worry about any "configure" magic, unless you've already done that.  Just a "rlm_dotnet.c" file and an "all.mk" file with compiler flags is good enough to start.

Well, you might be pleasantly surprised. Or horrified. Or both.

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/pull/3494
--

On Jun 12, 2020, at 2:25 PM, Blake Ramsdell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, you might be pleasantly surprised. Or horrified. Or both.
>
> https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/pull/3494

  Thanks.  We'll take a look.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/devel.html