Meaning of zero queue size in a Freeradius prod environment

Meaning of zero queue size in a Freeradius prod environment

Fekete Tamás
Hello!

I would like to develop a Nagios check for Freeradius which periodically
checks the queue.

My idea it to use radclient with statistics type 16 (or similar) and grep
out the useful informations.

I queried our prod server which handles about 3000-5000 requests in a
minute and got a result that the queue is zero:

[root@radius1 sites-enabled]# echo "Message-Authenticator = 0x00,
FreeRADIUS-Statistics-Type = 16, Response-Packet-Type = Access-Accept" |
radclient -x localhost:18121 status <somethingpass>
Sent Status-Server Id 230 from 0.0.0.0:37413 to 127.0.0.1:18121 length 50
Message-Authenticator = 0x00
FreeRADIUS-Statistics-Type = Internal
Response-Packet-Type = Access-Accept
Received Access-Accept Id 230 from 127.0.0.1:18121 to 0.0.0.0:0 length 128
FreeRADIUS-Stats-Start-Time = "Feb  4 2019 08:33:06 CET"
FreeRADIUS-Stats-HUP-Time = "Feb  4 2019 08:33:06 CET"
FreeRADIUS-Queue-Len-Internal = 0
FreeRADIUS-Queue-Len-Proxy = 0
FreeRADIUS-Queue-Len-Auth = 0
FreeRADIUS-Queue-Len-Acct = 0
FreeRADIUS-Queue-Len-Detail = 0
FreeRADIUS-Queue-PPS-In = 0
FreeRADIUS-Queue-PPS-Out = 0

I am asking just for the sure understanding.
Does Freeradius show me zero values regardless of the load because the
operation of the program is so quick and all the requests are handled less
than a second so it is hard to catch a queue value different than 0?

- Tamas Fekete
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Meaning of zero queue size in a Freeradius prod environment

Alan DeKok-2
On Feb 4, 2019, at 3:34 AM, Fekete Tamás <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am asking just for the sure understanding.
> Does Freeradius show me zero values regardless of the load because the
> operation of the program is so quick and all the requests are handled less
> than a second so it is hard to catch a queue value different than 0?

  Yes.

  If there's something blocking the server, the queue size will be non-zero.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Meaning of zero queue size in a Freeradius prod environment

Fekete Tamás
>  If there's something blocking the server, the queue size will be
non-zero.

Thank you!

Alan DeKok <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. febr. 4.,
H, 12:57):

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html