In freeradius rlm_exec - How keep "\n" newline in messages

In freeradius rlm_exec - How keep "\n" newline in messages

Ryan Allen
So in freeradius (version 3.0.19), we are using rlm_exec to call an
external shell script.  The script sends all responses to standard out
(which gets returned back to freeradius), and that is working, but if
we put the "\n" newline character in our messages, that newline is
getting removed.  We use "\n" to format some messages for the end
user.

Is there any way to create messages that keep the newline character?

Thank you for your help!
Ryan
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: In freeradius rlm_exec - How keep "\n" newline in messages

Alan DeKok-2
On Jan 14, 2020, at 1:32 PM, Ryan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So in freeradius (version 3.0.19), we are using rlm_exec to call an
> external shell script.  The script sends all responses to standard out
> (which gets returned back to freeradius), and that is working, but if
> we put the "\n" newline character in our messages, that newline is
> getting removed.  We use "\n" to format some messages for the end
> user.
>
> Is there any way to create messages that keep the newline character?

  Unfortunately, no.  This is by design.  Allowing newlines can create security issues.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html