Improve IO wait

Sajad Tahernejad
Hi all,
I'm installed freeradius on vps with this details
2 Core CPU - 4G RAM - HDD 100G 10k
I see iowaot always +25%
I see disk IO is +3MB/s with mysql
 I have about 200 users online.

How can improve performance for iowait.

Thanks. Regards
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Improve IO wait

Nathan Ward
Hi,

> On 6/02/2019, at 6:16 PM, Sajad Tahernejad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I'm installed freeradius on vps with this details
> 2 Core CPU - 4G RAM - HDD 100G 10k
> I see iowaot always +25%
> I see disk IO is +3MB/s with mysql
> I have about 200 users online.
>
> How can improve performance for iowait.

If MySQL is in IOWait you should engage your DBA or work with the MySQL people on that.

Some people here may have some suggestion that have worked for them with their MySQL installs, but they will just be suggestions and will not necessarily work with your MySQL install - if your load problem is in MySQL then you need to look there.
If people are to give you some suggestions, they will need some details.. but you haven’t provided any details about what you are doing, are you using the default MySQL queries? Auth? Accounting? Sqlippool?
What sort of throughput for auth/accounting? What have you configured FreeRADIUS to actually do?

--
Nathan Ward

Re: Improve IO wait

Sajad Tahernejad
Thanks for reply.
Yes, I used all config default by freeradius.
On this server are used mysql for freeradius only.
I use Auth , Accounting and IPPool by mysql.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 10:21 AM Nathan Ward <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On 6/02/2019, at 6:16 PM, Sajad Tahernejad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I'm installed freeradius on vps with this details
> > 2 Core CPU - 4G RAM - HDD 100G 10k
> > I see iowaot always +25%
> > I see disk IO is +3MB/s with mysql
> > I have about 200 users online.
> >
> > How can improve performance for iowait.
>
> If MySQL is in IOWait you should engage your DBA or work with the MySQL
> people on that.
>
> Some people here may have some suggestion that have worked for them with
> their MySQL installs, but they will just be suggestions and will not
> necessarily work with your MySQL install - if your load problem is in MySQL
> then you need to look there.
> If people are to give you some suggestions, they will need some details..
> but you haven’t provided any details about what you are doing, are you
> using the default MySQL queries? Auth? Accounting? Sqlippool?
> What sort of throughput for auth/accounting? What have you configured
> FreeRADIUS to actually do?
>
> --
> Nathan Ward

Re: Improve IO wait

Nathan Ward

> On 6/02/2019, at 8:05 PM, Sajad Tahernejad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for reply.
> Yes, I used all config default by freeradius.

I don’t think that’s completely true - you have mysql passwords, etc. configured, I presume.

> On this server are used mysql for freeradius only.
> I use Auth , Accounting and IPPool by mysql.

You have not answered my questions.

What is your usage profile like - what sort of throughput do you see for different packet types?

Can you share some debugs of auth and accounting messages?

Have you looked at the MySQL logs and slow query logs and so on? Run any MySQL tools to analyse performance? This is, after all, a MySQL performance issue, NOT a FreeRADIUS performance issue.

--
Nathan Ward