Help debugging sql problem

I've just upgraded one of my servers to 3.0.2o and have just noticed the
following radius.log messages, although I'm fairly sure it's got nothing to
do with the version release.

My FR setup uses buffered-sql to offload sql writes via the details file.

This config works fine on all my other servers ( puppet managed config) but
on this one I've noticed

1). I see the following messages in the log

Thu Nov 21 15:24:55 2019 : WARNING: (86473) WARNING: Module rlm_sql became
unblocked\

Thu Nov 21 15:25:53 2019 : Error: Unresponsive child for request 87765, in
component accounting module sql

2). the buffered-sql process copies contents of file  detail  into
detail.work leaving the source to capture subsequent packets.oes

An ls -lt shows

-rw------- 1 freerad freerad  31359093 Nov 21 15:51 detail
-rw------- 1 freerad freerad 101566485 Nov 21 15:51 detail-filebeat
-rw------- 1 freerad freerad     63282 Nov 21 14:22 detail.work
-rw------- 1 freerad freerad 211324742 Nov 21 06:24 detail-filebeat.1

So detail.work hasn't moved since 14:22

I'm guessing there's something in thre detail.work file causing the sql to
fail.

How can I debug the buffered-sql server to check this out without
generating 3,000,000 logs for the rest of the server ?

Rgds

Alex
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Help debugging sql problem

Alan DeKok-2
On Nov 21, 2019, at 10:56 AM, Alex Sharaz via Freeradius-Users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just upgraded one of my servers to 3.0.2o and have just noticed the
> following radius.log messages, although I'm fairly sure it's got nothing to
> do with the version release.
>
> My FR setup uses buffered-sql to offload sql writes via the details file.
>
> This config works fine on all my other servers ( puppet managed config) but
> on this one I've noticed
>

> 1). I see the following messages in the log
>
> Thu Nov 21 15:24:55 2019 : WARNING: (86473) WARNING: Module rlm_sql became
> unblocked\

  Which means that the SQL module is blocking the server.

> 2). the buffered-sql process copies contents of file  detail  into
> detail.work leaving the source to capture subsequent packets.oes

  That's fine.

> An ls -lt shows
>
> -rw------- 1 freerad freerad  31359093 Nov 21 15:51 detail
> -rw------- 1 freerad freerad 101566485 Nov 21 15:51 detail-filebeat
> -rw------- 1 freerad freerad     63282 Nov 21 14:22 detail.work
> -rw------- 1 freerad freerad 211324742 Nov 21 06:24 detail-filebeat.1
>
> So detail.work hasn't moved since 14:22

  Because the SQL server is blocking, and isn't letting FreeRADIUS process requests.

> I'm guessing there's something in thre detail.work file causing the sql to
> fail.

  Probably not.  The SQL server is *down*.  If there was something in the packets that was bad, then the rlm_sql module would be

> How can I debug the buffered-sql server to check this out without
> generating 3,000,000 logs for the rest of the server ?

  You don't.  You fix SQL so that it's responding to FreeRADIUS.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Help debugging sql problem

Alan Buxey
Hi

When I've had this its because the detail file was not written to correctly
when service killed or server shutdown less gracefully than it should have
been.

A quick session with vi and the detail.work file will find the culprit
entry and then all will be well

alan

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 15:57 Alex Sharaz via Freeradius-Users, <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded one of my servers to 3.0.2o and have just noticed the
> following radius.log messages, although I'm fairly sure it's got nothing to
> do with the version release.
>
> My FR setup uses buffered-sql to offload sql writes via the details file.
>
> This config works fine on all my other servers ( puppet managed config) but
> on this one I've noticed
>

> 1). I see the following messages in the log
>
> Thu Nov 21 15:24:55 2019 : WARNING: (86473) WARNING: Module rlm_sql became
> unblocked\
>

> Thu Nov 21 15:25:53 2019 : Error: Unresponsive child for request 87765, in
> component accounting module sql
>

> 2). the buffered-sql process copies contents of file  detail  into
> detail.work leaving the source to capture subsequent packets.oes
>

> An ls -lt shows
>
> -rw------- 1 freerad freerad  31359093 Nov 21 15:51 detail
> -rw------- 1 freerad freerad 101566485 Nov 21 15:51 detail-filebeat
> -rw------- 1 freerad freerad     63282 Nov 21 14:22 detail.work
> -rw------- 1 freerad freerad 211324742 Nov 21 06:24 detail-filebeat.1
>
> So detail.work hasn't moved since 14:22
>
> I'm guessing there's something in thre detail.work file causing the sql to
> fail.
>

> How can I debug the buffered-sql server to check this out without
> generating 3,000,000 logs for the rest of the server ?
>

> Rgds
>
> Alex
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See