Quantcast

Freeradius Clustering

Fred Zinsli
Hello everyone

Sorry if this has been covered, but I have googled without finding.

I am looking to replace our current servers and am looking to
reconfigure the network.

I am wanting to know if Freeradius can be clustered? and if so can
someone point me to some documentation on the subject.

I am also wanting to know how the calculate the new specs for the new
servers.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Fred

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Freeradius Clustering

Michael Schwartzkopff
Am Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2007 04:32 schrieb Fred Zinsli:

> Hello everyone
>
> Sorry if this has been covered, but I have googled without finding.
>
> I am looking to replace our current servers and am looking to
> reconfigure the network.
>
> I am wanting to know if Freeradius can be clustered? and if so can
> someone point me to some documentation on the subject.
>
> I am also wanting to know how the calculate the new specs for the new
> servers.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
>
> Fred

Hi,

high availability clustering is possible with Linux-HA (heartbeat). It can
cluster everything what starts with an init script.

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: [hidden email]
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Freeradius Clustering

Nicolas Baradakis
Fred Zinsli wrote:

> I am wanting to know if Freeradius can be clustered? and if so can
> someone point me to some documentation on the subject.

I'd suggest to use LVS (Linux Virtual Server) in a "direct routing"
setup. See: http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/VS-DRouting.html

> I am also wanting to know how the calculate the new specs for the new
> servers.

Any ordinary PC will do fine. The number of req/s will likely be
limited by the backend database.

--
Nicolas Baradakis

RE: Freeradius Clustering

Metanol
If your NAS supports several Radius servers, I wouldn't do any clustering,
but run them in parallele adding each server's IP in the NAS config.
It will detect when a server is unreachable and switch all traffic to other
servers.
Problem with LVS is you become dependant on your OS.
If your NAS does not support multiple servers, I'd go for LVS or Heartbeat

David Roze
---
http://www.netexpertise.eu

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html