Freeradius Accounting and Syslog server

harshiva matcha
Hello Everyone!

I am using Freeradius for Accounting and I was successful in configuring
it. However, to process the logs and displaying them for further use, I
would like to send them to syslog server.

For me, it is easier to send to syslog if the logs are printed on STDOUT.
Is there a way to print the Accounting logs on STDOUT or different way to
send to syslog server?

I have tried editing /etc/freeradius/modules/detail file to add follows-

*detailfile = stdout*

But this does not seem to be working. Please let me know, thank you
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Freeradius Accounting and Syslog server

Alan DeKok-2
On Jan 24, 2019, at 7:04 PM, harshiva matcha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am using Freeradius for Accounting and I was successful in configuring
> it. However, to process the logs and displaying them for further use, I
> would like to send them to syslog server.
>
> For me, it is easier to send to syslog if the logs are printed on STDOUT.
> Is there a way to print the Accounting logs on STDOUT or different way to
> send to syslog server?

  The detail file is *packet* oriented, not line oriented.  i.e. it has multiple lines for one packet.

  Syslog is *line* oriented.  Each line is treated independently of every other line.

  So no, you can't really put detail files into syslog.  And even if you could, they wouldn't make any sense.

> I have tried editing /etc/freeradius/modules/detail file to add follows-
>
> *detailfile = stdout*
>
> But this does not seem to be working. Please let me know, thank you

  It doesn't work because nothing in the documentation leads you to believe it's possible.  So, it's not possible.

  If you want custom logs, see the "linelog" module.  That can create custom lines, and can log to syslog.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Freeradius Accounting and Syslog server

R3DNano
For what is worth. I know this message is a bit "old" but, since I've been
experimenting myself with linelog and sending info to a remote syslog, I
found this wiki page quite helpful:
https://wiki.freeradius.org/guide/eduroam-logging

It's a pretty good example to let you understand how to configure a
(somewhat basic but functional) logging system.

Cheers.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html