FreeRadius on Debian Server

Hassan, Hazem (Nokia - EG/Cairo)

Hi Experts,

I have just installed freeradius on Debian server :

root@brlb-WM-services2:/etc/freeradius/3.0# # lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        10
Codename:       buster

install new FreeRadius on Debian:
#sudo apt-get install freeradius

root@brlb-WM-services2:/etc/freeradius/3.0# freeradius -v
radiusd: FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.17, for host i686-pc-linux-gnu, built on Apr 22 2019 at 21:23:36
FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.17
Copyright (C) 1999-2017 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors
PARTICULAR PURPOSE
You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
GNU General Public License
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYRIGHT

And while trying to edit radius.client file under /etc/freeradius/3.0 with the BNG address and found that I am not able to use normal key-arrows to edit and even the display is not showing the full file. ...(see below)

[cid:image001.jpg@01D6FE52.CC08CAF0]

Any idea ?

And how to start the radius .. as mentioned above use "radiusd -X"  , but seems this is not working as well ?

Also I ignored to install MySql and considered it is installed as part of " apt-get install freeradius" ?

Thanks,
Hazem

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: FreeRadius on Debian Server

Users mailing list
On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 11:44 AM Hassan, Hazem (Nokia - EG/Cairo) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Experts,
>
> I have just installed freeradius on Debian server :
>

> root@brlb-WM-services2:/etc/freeradius/3.0# # lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Debian
> Release:        10
> Codename:       buster
>

> install new FreeRadius on Debian:
> #sudo apt-get install freeradius

I think the prefered method is:

apt install foo

but that is being pedantic.

> root@brlb-WM-services2:/etc/freeradius/3.0# freeradius -v
> radiusd: FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.17, for host i686-pc-linux-gnu, built on
> Apr 22 2019 at 21:23:36
> FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.17
> Copyright (C) 1999-2017 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE
> You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
> GNU General Public License
> For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYRIGHT
>

> And while trying to edit radius.client file under /etc/freeradius/3.0 with
> the BNG address and found that I am not able to use normal key-arrows to
> edit and even the display is not showing the full file. ...(see below)

How are you attempting to edit the file?

What text editor are you using?

> [cid:image001.jpg@01D6FE52.CC08CAF0]
>
> Any idea ?
>
> And how to start the radius .. as mentioned above use "radiusd -X"  , but
> seems this is not working as well ?

Debian packages up the daemon as "freeradius". You can execute:

freeradius -X

> Also I ignored to install MySql and considered it is installed as part of
> " apt-get install freeradius" ?

Start with a base config and edit things after you've verified the basics
are working.

-m
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: FreeRadius on Debian Server

Matthew Newton-3
On 08/02/2021 17:44, Hassan, Hazem (Nokia - EG/Cairo) wrote:
> And while trying to edit radius.client file under /etc/freeradius/3.0 with the BNG address and found that I am not able to use normal key-arrows to edit and even the display is not showing the full file. ...(see below)
>
> [cid:image001.jpg@01D6FE52.CC08CAF0]
>
> Any idea ?

This is nothing to do with FreeRADIUS. You need to make sure your system
isn't broken and the editor is working.

The list strips most images.

> And how to start the radius .. as mentioned above use "radiusd -X"  , but seems this is not working as well ?

Debian/Ubuntu packages use "freeradius", not "radiusd" (as you used
above). So it's `freeradius -X` instead.

> Also I ignored to install MySql and considered it is installed as part of " apt-get install freeradius" ?

Installing FreeRADIUS won't install MySQL, you need to do that yourself.

Installing the freeradius-mysql package will pull in the MySQL client
libraries, but you'll still need to install the MySQL database somewhere
(which may not even be on the same server).

Get FreeRADIUS working *without* MySQL first, though.

--
Matthew

RE: FreeRadius on Debian Server

Hassan, Hazem (Nokia - EG/Cairo)
Thanks Matt , I am using  vi to edit.

root@brlb-WM-services2:/etc/freeradius/3.0# vi radiusd.conf
# -*- text -*-
##
## radiusd.conf -- FreeRADIUS server configuration file - 3.0.17
##
##      http://www.freeradius.org/
##      $Id: 59e59f3ac443e75663333a5b7732664b67c5567d $
##

#
#       Read "man radiusd" before editing this file.  See the section
#       titled DEBUGGING.  It outlines a method where you can quickly
#       obtain the configuration you want, without running into
#       trouble.
#
#       Run the server in debugging mode, and READ the output.
#
#               $ radiusd -X
#
#       We cannot emphasize this point strongly enough.  The vast
#       majority of problems can be solved by carefully reading the
#       debugging output, which includes warnings about common issues,
#       and suggestions for how they may be fixed.

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 11:44 AM Hassan, Hazem (Nokia - EG/Cairo) < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Experts,
>
> I have just installed freeradius on Debian server :
>

> root@brlb-WM-services2:/etc/freeradius/3.0# # lsb_release -a No LSB
> modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Debian
> Release:        10
> Codename:       buster
>

> install new FreeRadius on Debian:
> #sudo apt-get install freeradius

I think the prefered method is:

apt install foo

but that is being pedantic.

> root@brlb-WM-services2:/etc/freeradius/3.0# freeradius -v
> radiusd: FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.17, for host i686-pc-linux-gnu, built
> on Apr 22 2019 at 21:23:36 FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.17 Copyright (C)
> 1999-2017 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors There is NO
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License For more information about these
> matters, see the file named COPYRIGHT
>

> And while trying to edit radius.client file under /etc/freeradius/3.0
> with the BNG address and found that I am not able to use normal
> key-arrows to edit and even the display is not showing the full file.
> ...(see below)

How are you attempting to edit the file?

What text editor are you using?

> [cid:image001.jpg@01D6FE52.CC08CAF0]
>
> Any idea ?
>
> And how to start the radius .. as mentioned above use "radiusd -X"  ,
> but seems this is not working as well ?

Debian packages up the daemon as "freeradius". You can execute:

freeradius -X

> Also I ignored to install MySql and considered it is installed as part
> of " apt-get install freeradius" ?

Start with a base config and edit things after you've verified the basics are working.

-m
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: FreeRadius on Debian Server

Alan Buxey
hi,

> Thanks Matt , I am using  vi to edit.

and you know how to use vi?  if so, then its probably your TERM
environment or shell thats messing things up - freeradius is not
involved in editing files...even its config files...thats all system
stuff.

if you dont 'vi' then use nano or emacs etc

alan
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html