FreeRadius 1.0.4 - FreeBSD - Syslog not working

FreeRadius 1.0.4 - FreeBSD - Syslog not working

Daniel Richardson
Hi there,

I've succesfully installed (from the ports collection) FreeRadius (1.0.4) using Secure LDAP to Active Directory (horray!) - however, I can't seem to get it to log authentication attempts (much less anything) to syslog, this is my final stumbling block, and I really need some help here.

I've spent hours scouring the mailing lists seeing many people with similar problems, and I've tried many of the supposed solutions without success. There seems to be some mention that information was included in the documentation at some point, however I've download the latest source code and grep'ed the documentation for anything containing 'syslog' and turned up empty (even browsed seemingly relevant docs manually).

My syslogging is syslog-ng and works fine logging for several network devices. Syslog is installed on the same machine as freeradius. The source code seem to indicate syslogging is compiled / enabled by default - so presumably the port includes this as I see no options 'disabling' it.

Things I've tried, with no success include:

* >From the radiusd help, I've included command line options.

  -l log_dir      Log messages to 'log_dir'.  Special values are:
                  stdout == log all messages to standard output.
                  syslog == log all messages to the system logger.

[hidden email] radiusd -l syslog

* Edit the radiusd.conf file to include:

log_destination = syslog
log {
        syslog_facility = daemon
}
* Edit the radiusd.conf file to include (which results in radiusd: Couldn't open syslog/radius.log for logging: No such file or directory - fairly obvious its not doing interpretting this differently)

logdir = syslog

Has anyone got this working succesfully? With this version of FreeRadius? How did you do it? Does anyone know troubleshooting methods I can use (radiusd -X will not log to syslog since its redirecting to stdout).

Any answers or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: FreeRadius 1.0.4 - FreeBSD - Syslog not working

Alan DeKok
"Daniel Richardson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've succesfully installed (from the ports collection) FreeRadius
> (1.0.4) using Secure LDAP to Active Directory (horray!) - however, I
> can't seem to get it to log authentication attempts (much less anything)
> to syslog, this is my final stumbling block, and I really need some help
> here.

  1.0.4 doesn't really support syslog.  There are bugs that prevented
it from working, but are fixed in the latest CVS snapshots.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: FreeRadius 1.0.4 - FreeBSD - Syslog not working

Dusty Doris

> user@domain$ radiusd -l syslog

Didn't know freeradius did syslog, cool.  Anyway, just tried it out on
freebsd 5.4.  In man radiusd, it shows that when using -l syslog, there is
also -g to specify the facility, where it also shows the default is
daemon.

You will need to edit /etc/syslog.conf and add

daemon.* /var/log/whateverfileyouwant

Touch /var/log/whateverfileyouwant and then restart syslogd and then
restart freeradius with at least -l syslog.  You could also use -g and
specify a different facility such as local[0-7].

Make sure to touch the file first before restarting syslogd.
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html