[FreeRADIUS and PPPd] How to limit the bandwidth?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
| Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[FreeRADIUS and PPPd] How to limit the bandwidth?

Sebastian Mauer-4
Hello there,

I'm currently setting up FreeRADIUS as authentication/authorization backend
for a PPPoE Server running with the ppp Daemon. I've managed to get the ppp
Daemon to work with my working FreeRADIUS 1.0.3 Server but now have to solve
another problem. Is it possible to limit the bandwidth the ppp channel
allocated via an attribute in FreeRADIUS?

Or has someone another Idea how to manage a bandwidth cap?

Sincerely,

Sebastian Mauer


-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
| Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [FreeRADIUS and PPPd] How to limit the bandwidth?

Jakub Wartak
Dnia czwartek, 21 lipca 2005 13:36, Sebastian Mauer napisał:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm currently setting up FreeRADIUS as authentication/authorization backend
> for a PPPoE Server running with the ppp Daemon. I've managed to get the ppp
> Daemon to work with my working FreeRADIUS 1.0.3 Server but now have to
> solve another problem. Is it possible to limit the bandwidth the ppp
> channel allocated via an attribute in FreeRADIUS?
>
> Or has someone another Idea how to manage a bandwidth cap?

What kind of OS this PPPoE server is running?

If it is Linux/*BSD you can execute commands on session initialization
( /etc/ppp/if-up or something like that ). Just put some tc/altq/ipfw
commands there...

btw: Search for "WARTA project" on google ;)

--
Jakub Wartak
-vnull
FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Linux/Network Administrator

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
| Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [FreeRADIUS and PPPd] How to limit the bandwidth?

Sebastian Mauer-4
In reply to this post by Sebastian Mauer-4
[hidden email] wrote:

> Dnia czwartek, 21 lipca 2005 13:36, Sebastian Mauer napisał:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I'm currently setting up FreeRADIUS as authentication/authorization
>> backend for a PPPoE Server running with the ppp Daemon. I've managed
>> to get the ppp Daemon to work with my working FreeRADIUS 1.0.3 Server
>> but now have to solve another problem. Is it possible to limit the
>> bandwidth the ppp channel allocated via an attribute in FreeRADIUS?
>>
>> Or has someone another Idea how to manage a bandwidth cap?
>
> What kind of OS this PPPoE server is running?

The Server is running on Linux (Debian 3.1 Sarge/stable)

>
> If it is Linux/*BSD you can execute commands on session initialization
> ( /etc/ppp/if-up or something like that ). Just put some tc/altq/ipfw
> commands there...
>
> btw: Search for "WARTA project" on google ;)

Hello there,
thanks for the Info I will gather Information about WARTA and iproute2.

But another problem should be that I have to control the bandwidth limits
individually for each user logging into the pppoe-server.

Sincerely,

Sebastian Mauer



-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
| Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [FreeRADIUS and PPPd] How to limit the bandwidth?

Jakub Wartak
Dnia czwartek, 21 lipca 2005 14:00, Sebastian Mauer napisał:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Dnia czwartek, 21 lipca 2005 13:36, Sebastian Mauer napisał:
> >> Hello there,
> >>
> >> I'm currently setting up FreeRADIUS as authentication/authorization
> >> backend for a PPPoE Server running with the ppp Daemon. I've managed
> >> to get the ppp Daemon to work with my working FreeRADIUS 1.0.3 Server
> >> but now have to solve another problem. Is it possible to limit the
> >> bandwidth the ppp channel allocated via an attribute in FreeRADIUS?
> >>
> >> Or has someone another Idea how to manage a bandwidth cap?
> >
> > What kind of OS this PPPoE server is running?
>
> The Server is running on Linux (Debian 3.1 Sarge/stable)

Ok.

> > If it is Linux/*BSD you can execute commands on session initialization
> > ( /etc/ppp/if-up or something like that ). Just put some tc/altq/ipfw
> > commands there...
> >
> > btw: Search for "WARTA project" on google ;)
>
> Hello there,
> thanks for the Info I will gather Information about WARTA and iproute2.
>
> But another problem should be that I have to control the bandwidth limits
> individually for each user logging into the pppoe-server.

So use HTB ( or HFSC ) for that, just create a new qdisc/class/filter for
every user that connects to your concentrator.

---internet(eth0)--- linux --- pppoe_clients(eth1)----

What you should do:
+ prepare kernel with IMQ ( it's one of the possbile solutions )
+ attach imq0 to ppp+ ( now all traffic outgoing on interfaces pppX will go
through imq0 )
+ before pppoe-server starts, attach htb/hfsc qdisc root to eth0 and imq0,
prepare classes etc.
+ launch pppoe-server
+ write scripts (if-up/if-down) that create/destroy classess/filters/qdiscs on
        a) eth0 ( limiting upload )
        b) imq0 ( limiting download for client )

+ tune your setup ;) ( the info about bw limits could be fetched from RADIUS
server using additional atttributes )

But first you should understand QoS on Linux deeply.

Ask google for:
lartc
htb
imq

BTW: This group is not intended to ask question about Linux QoS and rp-pppoe.

If you have trouble doing this i advice using FreeBSD as showed in WARTA
HowTo.


--
Jakub Wartak
-vnull
FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Linux/Network Administrator

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html