Failed binding to acct address * port 1812 bound to server eduroam: Address already in use

Failed binding to acct address * port 1812 bound to server eduroam: Address already in use

Users mailing list
Hi All,

I tried to setup Eduroam FreeRadius server for one institution in my country.
I followed to recommendations how configure it but when I run freeradius -X command I got the error message:
"Failed binding to acct address * port 1812 bound to server eduroam: Address already in use"

In /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled directory I placed two virtual servers: eduroam and inner-tunnel according the recommendations
The inner-tunnel server I configured to listen port 18120, in eduroam 1812. But I'm still having the above error message.
Could you help me to fix the problem?

I'm attaching two files: output of freeradius -X and inner-tunnel

Regards, Nurtal
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Output (38K) Download Attachment
=?UTF-8?b?aW5uZXItdHVubmVs?= (780 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Failed binding to acct address * port 1812 bound to server eduroam: Address already in use

Matthew Newton-3
On Wed, 2019-01-09 at 14:23 +0000, Tal Nur via Freeradius-Users wrote:
> freeradius -X command I got the error message:
> "Failed binding to acct address * port 1812 bound to server eduroam:
> Address already in use"
>
> In /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled directory I placed two virtual
> servers: eduroam and inner-tunnel according the recommendations
> The inner-tunnel server I configured to listen port 18120, in eduroam
> 1812. But I'm still having the above error message.
> Could you help me to fix the problem?

The daemon is already running. So you need to do e.g.

  service freeradius stop

first.

--
Matthew

Re: Failed binding to acct address * port 1812 bound to server eduroam: Address already in use

Hi Matthew,

There is no any Freeradius instance running when I entered freeradius -X command.
I checked it by ps -aux | grep radius.

for eduroam I need to place two virtual servers eduroam and inner-tunnel into /sites-enabled directory.
I configure eduroam virtual server to listen port 1812 and inner-tunnel to listen port 18120. But I still have problem with "address already in use"

Regards, Talgat

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019, 9:26:13 AM EST, Tal Nur via Freeradius-Users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

I tried to setup Eduroam FreeRadius server for one institution in my country.
I followed to recommendations how configure it but when I run freeradius -X command I got the error message:
"Failed binding to acct address * port 1812 bound to server eduroam: Address already in use"

In /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled directory I placed two virtual servers: eduroam and inner-tunnel according the recommendations
The inner-tunnel server I configured to listen port 18120, in eduroam 1812. But I'm still having the above error message.
Could you help me to fix the problem?

I'm attaching two files: output of freeradius -X and inner-tunnel

Regards, Nurtal
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Failed binding to acct address * port 1812 bound to server eduroam: Address already in use

Hans-Christian Esperer
> There is no any Freeradius instance running when I entered freeradius -X command.
> I checked it by ps -aux | grep radius.

You could also do "sudo netstat -tulpen" if you're on linux or sockstat -l on
freebsd to see what other process has this port open.

It could also be that something crashed and the OS has not yet "garbage
collected" that port, so maybe try waiting a few minutes and then try again if
the netstat command doesn't show anything..

Cheers,
 HC
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Failed binding to acct address * port 1812 bound to server eduroam: Address already in use

Users mailing list
 Hi
I did netstat -tulpen, no any process was listening on port 1812. In general, how to run two or more virtual Radius servers on one machine?Must they listen on different ports?
Best, Nurtal

    On Wednesday, January 9, 2019, 11:43:36 AM EST, Hans-Christian Esperer <[hidden email]> wrote:

 > There is no any Freeradius instance running when I entered freeradius -X command.
> I checked it by ps -aux | grep radius.

You could also do "sudo netstat -tulpen" if you're on linux or sockstat -l on
freebsd to see what other process has this port open.

It could also be that something crashed and the OS has not yet "garbage
collected" that port, so maybe try waiting a few minutes and then try again if
the netstat command doesn't show anything..

Cheers,
 HC
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Failed binding to acct address * port 1812 bound to server eduroam: Address already in use

Alan DeKok-2
On Jan 9, 2019, at 1:34 PM, Tal Nur via Freeradius-Users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I did netstat -tulpen, no any process was listening on port 1812.

  Something is preventing FreeRADIUS from listening on that port.

> In general, how to run two or more virtual Radius servers on one machine?Must they listen on different ports?

  Only one application can listen on a port.  In FreeRADIUS, "virtual" servers can be tied to clients, etc, and can all use the same "listen" section.

  See raddb/sites-available/README for more information.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Failed binding to acct address * port 1812 bound to server eduroam: Address already in use

Alan Buxey
hi,

if another daemon isnt already running (ps aux | grep radius  , or netstat
-apn | grep 1812 ) then its likely that you have 2 virtual servers
configured to listen to
the port 1812.

if so, remove the listen section from the eg eduroam VS...  (what is the
purpose of this VS - is it for requests coming from the national proxy?? if
so, then simply
set server = eduroam  for those clients in clients.conf and the request
will go into that VS

alan

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html