EAP stress testting

work vlpl
Hello,
I want to do a stress test of my Freeradius setup with EAP
connections. radclient tool support arguments that allow to send many
packets/request per second, but eapol_test tool does not support it.
So to simulate may EAP connections/request per second I am starting
many eapol_test processes in parallel. It kinda works, but I wonder if
there is a better tool to do that.

--
Vladimir

Re: EAP stress testting

arr2036

> On Jan 10, 2020, at 4:46 AM, work vlpl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I want to do a stress test of my Freeradius setup with EAP
> connections. radclient tool support arguments that allow to send many
> packets/request per second, but eapol_test tool does not support it.
> So to simulate may EAP connections/request per second I am starting
> many eapol_test processes in parallel. It kinda works, but I wonder if
> there is a better tool to do that.

Not currently. That's what we do internally :)

-Arran
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: EAP stress testting

brent s.
   just conjecture on my part, but perhaps you could write something in
   python using pyrad and threading module?
   sent from my toaster.
   On Jan 10, 2020 22:45, Arran Cudbard-Bell <[hidden email]>
   wrote:

     > On Jan 10, 2020, at 4:46 AM, work vlpl <[hidden email]>
     wrote:

     > Hello,
     > I want to do a stress test of my Freeradius setup with EAP
     > connections. radclient tool support arguments that allow to send
     many
     > packets/request per second, but eapol_test tool does not support
     it.
     > So to simulate may EAP connections/request per second I am
     starting
     > many eapol_test processes in parallel. It kinda works, but I
     wonder if
     > there is a better tool to do that.

     Not currently. That's what we do internally :)

     -Arran
     -
     List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: EAP stress testting

arr2036

> On Jan 10, 2020, at 11:36 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>   just conjecture on my part, but perhaps you could write something in
>   python using pyrad and threading module?

Yeah if you want to implement the EAP state machines from scratch.

Pyrad gives you no help parsing or composing EAP packets.

-Arran
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: EAP stress testting

Jouni Malinen-5
On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 11:47 AM work vlpl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to do a stress test of my Freeradius setup with EAP
> connections. radclient tool support arguments that allow to send many
> packets/request per second, but eapol_test tool does not support it.
> So to simulate may EAP connections/request per second I am starting
> many eapol_test processes in parallel. It kinda works, but I wonder if
> there is a better tool to do that.

I've used a python script to control multiple eapol_test processes through
their control interface (i.e., run multiple EAP sessions through each
process and add as many processes as you want to see parallel sessions).
This seemed to work reasonably well and it should be straightforward to
modify the example python script if you want more control on authentication
rate, etc.

https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/commit/?id=8493fe34579415da546cde637c95da1cb979eb03

- Jouni
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: EAP stress testting

arr2036

> On 12 Jan 2020, at 13:47, Jouni Malinen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 11:47 AM work vlpl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I want to do a stress test of my Freeradius setup with EAP
>> connections. radclient tool support arguments that allow to send many
>> packets/request per second, but eapol_test tool does not support it.
>> So to simulate may EAP connections/request per second I am starting
>> many eapol_test processes in parallel. It kinda works, but I wonder if
>> there is a better tool to do that.
>>

> I've used a python script to control multiple eapol_test processes through
> their control interface (i.e., run multiple EAP sessions through each
> process and add as many processes as you want to see parallel sessions).
> This seemed to work reasonably well and it should be straightforward to
> modify the example python script if you want more control on authentication
> rate, etc.
>
> https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/commit/?id=8493fe34579415da546cde637c95da1cb979eb03

Neat! Thanks for that!

-Arran