Quantcast

Computer authentication

Jeremy Schubert
Is using a device's MAC address the only way to authenticate a specific machine?
-------
Jeremy Schubert
www.schubertville.com
www.schubertschool.com
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Computer authentication

David Mitton
Quoting Jeremy Schubert <[hidden email]>:

> Is using a device's MAC address the only way to authenticate a
> specific machine?
> -------
> Jeremy Schubert
> www.schubertville.com
> www.schubertschool.com

No.
In a Windows Domain, one can use the system's workstation name and a
credential created and assigned when the system is "joined" to the
domain. ( typically with EAP-MSCHAP inside of PEAP)

Another technique is to assign unique certificates to the machine, and
use EAP-TLS.

Dave.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

On 2013-03-05, at 1:14 PM, David Mitton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Jeremy Schubert <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Is using a device's MAC address the only way to authenticate a  specific machine?
>> -------
>> Jeremy Schubert
>> www.schubertville.com
>> www.schubertschool.com
>
> No.
> In a Windows Domain, one can use the system's workstation name and a credential created and assigned when the system is "joined" to the domain. ( typically with EAP-MSCHAP inside of PEAP)
>
> Another technique is to assign unique certificates to the machine, and use EAP-TLS.
>
> Dave.
>
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Thanks Dave. Can I give a certificate to a non windows machine as you suggest in your second paragraph?
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Computer authentication

A.L.M.Buxey
Hi,

> Thanks Dave. Can I give a certificate to a non windows machine as you suggest in your second paragraph?

many/most devices can use EAP-TLS certificates for network authentication.

alan
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html