Bootstrap portion of 'make install'

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bootstrap portion of 'make install'

coy.hile
Hi all,

I’m trying to incorporate FreeRADIUS 3 into pkgsrc.


In looking at the spec file in

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/v4.0.x/redhat/freeradius.spec

one sees an RPM post-install script that calls /etc/raddb/certs/bootstrap if needed.  Clearly, if one were actually running ‘make install’ in production, that work would be necessary as the Makefile does it.  However, if one is building a package, that step in ‘raddb/all.mk’ seems superfluous, and means that one need remove a bunch of ephemeral files from the DESTDIR before packaging.

Rather than having my package build framework let the bootstrap run in the DESTDIR and nuke the artifacts it creates before packaging, is there some setting one can tweak to skip that bootstrap as part of make install?

Thanks


Coy Hile
[hidden email]
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bootstrap portion of 'make install'

Alan DeKok-2
On May 9, 2017, at 8:48 PM, Coy Hile <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In looking at the spec file in
>
> https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/v4.0.x/redhat/freeradius.spec
>
> one sees an RPM post-install script that calls /etc/raddb/certs/bootstrap if needed.  Clearly, if one were actually running ‘make install’ in production, that work would be necessary as the Makefile does it.  However, if one is building a package, that step in ‘raddb/all.mk’ seems superfluous, and means that one need remove a bunch of ephemeral files from the DESTDIR before packaging.

  Yes.  That's why you can do:

$ PACKAGE=yes make install

  And the various auto-generated certs *won't* be created or installed.

> Rather than having my package build framework let the bootstrap run in the DESTDIR and nuke the artifacts it creates before packaging, is there some setting one can tweak to skip that bootstrap as part of make install?

  See above.  The Linux packages have similar requirements, hence the current solution.

  Alan DeKok.


-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bootstrap portion of 'make install'

coy.hile
Thanks. Alan, that helped immensely. Hopefully I can get packages setup soon and integrated. Having only an ancient 2.x (that's not even $latest) in pkgsrc is detrimental.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 9, 2017, at 21:29, Alan DeKok <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On May 9, 2017, at 8:48 PM, Coy Hile <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In looking at the spec file in
>>
>> https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/v4.0.x/redhat/freeradius.spec
>>
>> one sees an RPM post-install script that calls /etc/raddb/certs/bootstrap if needed.  Clearly, if one were actually running ‘make install’ in production, that work would be necessary as the Makefile does it.  However, if one is building a package, that step in ‘raddb/all.mk’ seems superfluous, and means that one need remove a bunch of ephemeral files from the DESTDIR before packaging.
>
>  Yes.  That's why you can do:
>
> $ PACKAGE=yes make install
>
>  And the various auto-generated certs *won't* be created or installed.
>
>> Rather than having my package build framework let the bootstrap run in the DESTDIR and nuke the artifacts it creates before packaging, is there some setting one can tweak to skip that bootstrap as part of make install?
>
>  See above.  The Linux packages have similar requirements, hence the current solution.
>
>  Alan DeKok.
>
>
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html