Acct-Unique-Session-Id changing mid-session?

Acct-Unique-Session-Id changing mid-session?

Roger Kristiansen
Hi,

I'm working on a script for parsing some freeradius log files and
getting them into a database, and I've noticed some (to me) strange
behaviour. It looks like a few sessions change Acct-Unique-Session-ID
mid-session. What I see is that there is issued a "Acct-Status-Type =
Start" entry and a few "Alive"-entries, before the
"Acct-Unique-Session-Id" field suddenly changes, seemingly out of
nowhere, and more "Alive"-entries keep coming with this new ID. This
while the user is the same, there has been no new "Stop" and/or "Start"
entry, and the "Alive"-entries enter the log at the correct times (15
min. apart). The MAC addressand IP-adress are also the same over all
entries. Is this a known issue or some easily explainable behaviour?

As far as I know, the server is running version 0.93.

I'm sorry if this mail is a bit lacking in technical detail, but I'm not
very familiar with RADIUS at all. If some some essential technical info
is missing, please tell me, and I will get it from the administrator. :)

Regards,
Roger Kristiansen

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Re: Acct-Unique-Session-Id changing mid-session?

Alan DeKok
Roger Kristiansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It looks like a few sessions change Acct-Unique-Session-ID
> mid-session.

  That's possible.  If you look, you'll see that the attributes it
depends on either change, or some disappear mid-session.  i.e. See the
"acct_unique" session of radiusd.conf.  The "unique" ID is just a hash
of other attributes.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html